#23 Revelations

**A/N: Firstly, I gravely apologise for the late update. Secondly, it's one big-ass chapter, probably the biggest I've written so far. So hope you enjoy!**

After running around the entire school for ten minutes, I finally spot him sitting in the library, flipping through a small fat book. I walk up to him and pull up a chair on the opposite side of the table. On seeing I still haven't attracted his attention, I snatch the book away from his hands and chuck it across the table.

He looks up, puzzled, as I interrupt his train of thought.

"When exactly were you planning to tell me?" I ask him curtly.

"What are you talking about?"

"Cut the crap!" I feel rage bubbling up in me, "You know fairly well what I'm talking about! What, were you just waiting for me to fatally wound myself in the middle of the night so that you could sing me my special song on the ambulance ride?"

For a split moment, his eyes widen ever so slightly, before he breaks away eye contact.

"Oh my God," I breathe, "It really was you."

"Sarah," he sighs, "I – I'm sorry."

"You're sorry?" I say, forgetting to keep my voice low, "What the fuck were you thinking?!"

The librarian sternly clears her throat and we look up to see her murderous glare resting on us from behind the counter. A few heads turn towards us with looks of annoyance.

"We should talk outside," Jake mutters, nodding an apology to the librarian. I get up, sling my bag around my shoulder and follow him outside.

We take the exit to the deserted parking lot outside the campus. Once we're outside, I turn to face him.

"Look, I can explain." He says.

"Go ahead."

"What I said," Jake pauses, "about loving you. That wasn't a lie." I feel my insides flip. He continues, "In fact, nothing was a lie, except my identity."

I shake my head, "I don't understand. Why would you lie about your identity?"

"I've loved you since sixth grade, Sarah. I still do. I can't help it. I couldn't get myself to tell you because I was afraid I would lose you as a friend too. But whenever I tried to give you a hint, you always best friend-zoned me. When I asked you out last year, you thought I was kidding with you. Have you ever thought about my feelings? How do you think I feel when you tell me you love me like a brother?"

"You are my friend, Jake," my voice quivers, "My best friend."

"Towards the end, I wasn't even a friend, Sarah; I was your punching bag. You vented out all your emotions on me. You talked to me just to tell me about your problems and didn't give a shit about mine. But I didn't leave your side, not for once. I was always there when you needed me, be it in school, or be it to the hospital in the middle of the night." He pauses and looks me in the eye, "I care for you so much. And I know you care for me too. I just wanted you to realise that."

I open my mouth to say something, but realise I'm lost for words.

"Somewhere, I couldn't stop believing that you love me too," He sounds frustrated, "I could have never made you realise that if I texted you as myself. You liked Dave, so I thought..." his voice trails away and he lowers his eyes.

"You thought that it would be easier to make me fall for you that way." I finish. "You thought if you texted pretending to be someone else, it would make things easier?"