#17 Whatever Lets You Sleep At Night

I thought I would actually be glad to have rejoined school after a week of absence, but now I'm having second thoughts. Sitting hours in an air conditioned room watching television wasn't all that bad compared to the huge pile of homework and assignments that I'm buried under right now. Grunting, I open my locker and pull out a thick textbook for the next period.

"Uh...Sarah?"

A voice behind me makes me jump. I look up to see a guy with curly hair, towering a few inches over me. He looks oddly familiar. Oh wait! It's the third drunk guy, a.k.a the insignificant spectator of the night when Aaron attacked me and Dave consequently pulled off an Edward Cullen. Why the hell was he here now?

I narrow my eyes, "Yes?"

"Hi. I'm Howard. Howard White."

The name jolts through my head.

"H-Howard White? You're Ellie's boyfriend?" 

He nods a little. "Look, I wanted to say I'm really sorry. I know I should have stopped Aaron that night, but the truth is, I just wasn't brave enough. He's a tough guy. Tougher when he's drunk."

I slam my locker close and start walking away, "You don't have to apologise to me."

He catches up with me, "No, wait! Please don't tell Ellie about this."

I stop and face him, "So that's what it is all about? You don't want to get in trouble with your girlfriend?"

"No! Look, I genuinely am sorry, but I also don't want to lose Ellie. She's the best thing that's happened to me since...I don't know, forever?"

Ellie's my best friend. I've never kept anything from her.

"How do I know you're not bad influence for her?"

"Just give me another chance! How can I make it up to you?"

"You don't have to make it up to me. Make it up to Ellie. By being a good boyfriend and all."

"I will. Really. Thanks, Sarah."

He smiles nervously and I feel maybe he's not that a bad guy. People make mistakes.

"Truth is, Aaron always kind of liked you."

I didn't know this. "Really?" I ask, incredulously.

"Yeah," he scratches the back of his head, "He thinks you're kinda cool. He was the one who told Jake to get you drunk at Dave's party so that it would have been easier for him to have a go at you. He had almost unhooked your bra too, but you apparently slapped him off or something. He once even tried to get in trouble with Dave to end up in the same detention as you, but instead, Dave ended up there."

"God," I say in disbelief, struggling to digest all that I just heard, "Hey, wait a minute. He didn't send you here, did he?"

"What? No! Of course not."

"Oh, okay. Well, I don't care. He's an asshole. Are things cool with Dave, though?"

"Yeah, things are cool with us. That was one stupid night."

I shake my head, "Yeah, it was."

"So see you later?"

"Yeah. See you, jerk."

"Hey, I said I'm sor –"

"Okay, okay, I'm just messing with you. See you later."

ooooooooo

Beep.

Dave: No way! Macchiato's my favourite too!

Me: Really? I always thought black coffee was your favourite.

Dave: Why would you think that?

Me: I don't know. You seem like a black coffee sort of person.

Dave: Doesn't make sense.

Me: Sure it does. Okay, my turn. What's the worst thing that ever happened to you?

Dave: Getting ditched by Sadie Walker. She was intense.

Me: Serves you right. That's what you get for insensitive objectification.

Dave: Okay, Dr. Phil. Favourite hook-up song?

Me: Cherry Pie by Warrant.

Dave: Wise choice. Carol....Can I tell you something?

Me: Sure, what?

Dave: Breaking up with Sadie Walker wasn't the worst thing that ever happened to me. I was raped in an elevator when I was seven.

I sit up straighter on my bed.

Me: Shit, Dave. I didn't know.

Dave: It's okay. No one knows actually.

Me: What do you mean? Don't tell me you haven't told your parents!

Dave: No. I haven't. I mean, I don't even remember much of it. All I know is I was alone in the elevator with this psycho lady who stank of sweat, and suddenly she started hitting me. I kind of blacked out after that. When she left, I was bleeding and my clothes were ripped.

Me: Didn't anyone question your state?

Dave: I cleaned myself up once the shock had passed. I never saw her again and decided it was pointless to tell anyone about it.

Me: Dave, you should have!

Dave: I know. But I couldn't get myself too. It felt too confusing and humiliating. I know it was selfish, because maybe I could have saved many other kids from the same fate by standing up against that psychopath. But I couldn't. I wasn't brave enough.

Me: It's alright. Don't blame yourself. You were just a kid.

Dave: Yeah. It doesn't even matter anymore. I've moved on.

Me: I think you're very brave, for the record.

Dave: I appreciate the effort. But I really ain't.

Me: Why did you decide to tell this to me of all people?

Dave: I don't know. Felt like I could trust you. I might just even be in love with you, you know.

Me: Really?...

Dave: Yep. I mean, you totally are.

Me: Oh yeah, how can you say that?!

Dave: I'm used to the ways of girls.

Me: Well, you're wrong. There's no way I'm in love with you.

Dave: Whatever lets you sleep at night ; )