#21 The Missing Puzzle Piece

"Could you make this short, please?" Caroline says impatiently, probably annoyed that I am cutting into her lunch time.

"Okay," I say, "Bottom-line is, did you give your number to any guy recently? Like maybe in these last few weeks?"

"Well, no," she says, "I have a boyfriend, you know."

"Oh, okay then."

"Is there a problem?" she asks in a concerned tone, "Why do you want to know?"

"Well, I thought maybe..." I sigh, "...never mind." 

She looks doubtfully at me. 

"It's nothing, forget it. Thanks anyway," I say and turn away. I keep walking till I'm out of the school building. I sit in one of the benches under a large tree and pull out my phone. I take in a few deep breaths before I text 'Dave'.

Me: You lied to me about Caroline giving you her number. You knew you were texting me, didn't you?

A minute later, my phone beeps.

Dave: Yes.

My breath is shaking.

Me: Why?

Dave: If I texted you openly, I would have to tell you who I really am.

Me: Who are you?

Dave: I can't tell you that.

Me: Why the hell not? Why are you doing this?

Dave: Because I love you. And don't deny, you do too.

My heart starts pounding. Do I?

Me: Who are you?

I wait. No reply. I sigh and lean my head back. I close my eyes for a moment, listening to the birds chirping and the distant hubbub of the school grounds. Whoever this person is, he knew me. He already liked me, even before the whole texting thing started. I jerk my eyes open, sitting back up. I grab my bag and rush back to the cafeteria, jostling against many of the students. I think I even bumped past Ken, my science partner.

"Hey, Sarah – " He began to greet me, but I honestly don't have time. Not now. I don't stop till I reach Dave and his friends' table. It feels extremely awkward to be around him anymore. I scan the table, but don't find the person I need to confront. As the guys' gazes fall on me, they share a few sneers and glances. I clear my throat, "Have any of you seen Aaron?"

"So it's Aaron now, is it?"

"Aw, what happened to Davey?"

"He's out for basketball practice," one of them says. Dave remains silent the whole time, not even making eye contact with me. I can't help feel bad.

"Thanks," I smile and exit the lunch room again towards the basketball court. When I reach there, I see Aaron playing with a few other guys. It doesn't take him long to notice me. I give him a small wave. He falters for a moment and the grin from his face fades. He passes the ball to another guy and makes his way up to me with a hint of nervousness. His toned muscular arms are glistening with sweat and his jersey sticks to his body. His blond damp hair falls over his forehead. There's no denying, he is insanely good looking. I can't help be a little mesmerised and intimidated at the same time. He is a big, strong guy and let's not forget what he tried to do to me that night.

I can hear my heart beating in my chest. Is this the guy I've been up at night, texting to? Is he the one I'm so desperately searching for?

"Uh, hello," I say as he approaches me.

"Hi Sarah," I can see the intent and nervousness in his eyes.

"I had to talk to you about something. I – "

"Why don't we sit in the bleachers?" He interrupts, "Maybe we can talk there?"

"Uh, ok, sure."

He leads me up the wooden bleachers and we sit down, facing the court. I'm careful in keeping considerable gap between us.

"What did you want to say?" He asks.

I arrange my words carefully before speaking, "I heard this thing about you, and wanted to make sure if it's true."

"What thing?"

"Do you, uh, like me?" I imagine how awkward it will be if he says no. Howard could be fibbing after all. But he tenses the moment I utter the words.

"Who told you that?" he asks wide-eyed, and a little red in the face.

"Howard," I say.

"That dipshit." he mutters under his breath.

I clear my throat and he looks up at me, "Well, he wasn't lying," he says, hesitantly, "I, uh... damn, this is awkward."

I wave him off and decide to come to the point, "Was it you, Aaron? The texts?"

He looks at me blankly, "What texts?" My heart sinks. All of this for nothing.

"Did you ever try to text me?" I ask, hoping he was trying to deny, "As Dave?"

"No, I'm pretty sure I didn't," he says, "What do you mean, as Dave? What is this all about?"

I sigh a deep long sigh and decide to tell him the whole story. It feels good to be sharing this mess with someone.

"So you still don't know who the guy is?" he asks after I finish, "Well, if it's a guy at all. Who knows, you could be someone's cute lesbian crush."

I roll my eyes but can't help smile anyway. "I should leave. Bell's going to ring anyway."

"Uh, Sarah," he lowers his eyes for a moment and his voice sounds weak, "I never said sorry for that night. So here you go. I really am sorry. For, uh, multiple occasions."

"Don't worry, that's in the past now," I say.

His face brightens, "You're a pretty cool chick, you know that?"

I shrug modestly, "Yeah."

"And about this texting thing, is there anyone else who's liked you or something? An ex-boyfriend?"

I shake my head but something flashes through my mind. There might just be one person I've left out. Can the mystery guy really be who I'm thinking he is?

"Well, there's this one guy," I say, "But I can't be sure."

"Well, you never leave a point missing in an investigation, do you?"

I look at him, "You're right. I must go. Thanks, Aaron."

There you go. All this time I knew I was missing someone out, like this one tiny piece of puzzle without which it can never be completed. I always do. I missed him out even after I bumped straight right into him.