#11 Happy Valentine's Day

** Special thanks to my friend Deepan2486 , who gave me the idea of writing a Valentine's Special chapter. Do check out his works, he's an amazing writer and friend.
Happy belated Valentine's Day!!!**

I hear a lot of giggling and whispering as I walk through the school corridor. People are shooting me these cryptic judgmental looks.

I decide to ignore the uncanny attention and get to the job. I spot Dave, leaning against his locker, chatting with his friends. I draw in a deep breath and approach him.

"Uh, Dave?"

He turns and fixes me with his grey eyes. "Sarah."

I hear his friends hooting and laughing.

"Ooooooh, it's pukey!"

"You didn't have too much of breakfast, did you?"

"Puke on him again, that was really cool!"

I clutch my books tightly and press them closer against my chest. I wish I could come up with one of those witty comebacks those girls in the movies always do but I feel like a dork standing here quietly. However, I don't let my stead waver.

"Dave," I say, "I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry. It was the first time ever that I got high, I don't know what came over me, and I really didn't mean to....." My voice fades away. Those guys are snickering again.

"It's okay," He says.

That was unexpected. His face is blank as ever. His eyes show no annoyance, no hatred - no emotion at all. Didn't last night disturb him at all? What does he think of me? He's not the crude type, but I'd expected him to say something.

"Oh," I say, "Really?"

"Well, not really, it was pretty gross. And I still have an awful stain on the shirt." He leans in a little closer to me, and I notice a hint of amusement on his face, if not a smirk. Is Dave flirting with me?

I wonder what I'm supposed to say. Should I offer to do laundry for him?

"Anyways," he says, straightening himself, realising flirting is no fun with girls like me, "It's okay. Shit happens."

"Thanks." I say. Dave doesn't say anything so I turn to leave before he speaks again.

"Hang on a sec," He opens his locker and pulls something out, "You'd left something at my place last night."

No. No way.

Oh. My. Fudge.

To my utter horror I find it is my old beige bra that I was wearing last night. How the hell did it manage to detach itself from my body and end up in Dave's locker?! What was I even doing? God, I'm never ever ever drinking again.

And that's not all. That bra has history. When I had been babysitting the neighbours' boys a few months ago, the perverted little kids had doodled all over the bra with colourful permanent markers and even drawn two tiny circles at the centre of the cups and labelled them 'nips'. Worst of all, they'd etched my initials across the lining in bold. There was no way I could show it to Dad or my neighbours.

I honestly should have just trashed that thing right away. But then again, how could I have predicted that it would end up in my crush's hands....

Let alone Dave's friends; the whole school is hollering with laughter.

Dave is grinning widely, trying not to laugh. So this is how forgiveness comes so easy. He knew he'd embarrass me.

I quickly snatch the bra away and rush off to class, trying to hide my beet red face and ignoring the jeer.

The rest of the day goes pretty uneventful, except that I have to keep my head down since I've become the new butt of ridicule of the entire school. I try to shake the comments off and mostly keep to myself. My Science partner asked me out for coffee. But I politely declined, since I was no more than a last resort to him - an alibi so that he doesn't look pathetic on Valentine's Day.

Ellie would be busy as she'll be going out with Howard White, a 'cool guy' she'd met at a party two days ago.

At around evening, I laze on my bed watching Gilmore Girls when my phone beeps again.

Dave: Hey.

I feel like ignoring him. Then I pick my phone up and start typing.

Me: What you did with Sarah wasn't cool.

Dave: Oh come on, it was just a joke!

Me: It wasn't funny.

Dave: Are you mad, Carol?

Me: Maybe.

Dave: Alright, I'm sorry... I shouldn't have done that.

I don't reply till my phone beeps again.

Dave: Almost forgot. Happy Valentine's Day!!

Doesn't he have a date? Gosh, players can be unbelievable sometimes.

Me:And I bet you sent that to fifty other girls?

Dave: All in my contacts list ; ) But I swear, those only had one exclamation mark.

Me: Don't you have a date?

Dave: Yep, Stacey. Btw, I'm really glad you made it to my party yesterday! You were so drunk, you said you didn't remember us ever texting : )

Damn, I had a close escape...

Me: Oh, yes, right.

After a few moments,

Dave: Carol? You still mad?
Well, I didn't mean to hurt Sarah or anything...
Ok, let's see
What if I make it up to her by wishing her Valentine's?

I laugh internally.

Me: Oh, sure. Try, why don't you.

Dave: Spoiler Alert. I already have ;)

I sit up.

Me: What? When?

Dave: I have my ways.

Me: What do you mean?

Dave: She'll know.

I try to recall my encounters with Dave today. Suddenly remembering, I race across the room and pick up my doodled beige bra. I turn it over. I suppress a smile as my eyes fall on the words written messily with black marker over the band.

Happy Valentine's Day!!

~D.R