#5 The Bad Boy Thinks I'm Pretty

Dave: Hey

Dave: Heeeyyy

Dave: oh come on

Dave: lalalalalalala

Dave: I'm bored

Dave: HHHEEEYYY

Me: I was bathing!!

At times, I tend to forget I'm texting Dave Rodriguez. I guess that's the thing about virtual reality. It's like our own intimate space filled with ethereal words of black and white; no awkward eye contact, body language or consciousness of conversation. I think it's the easiest to be yourself when you're texting, and this especially, is very convenient for a hardcore introvert like me. And Dave, he's turning out to be quite the contrary of my otherwise grave and fierce imagination of him. He makes me happy; and not in the clumsy, fan girl-fanatical way. He sure is a really interesting person.

Dave: I'm bored. Amuse me ; )

Me: Enough with the winkies!!!

Dave: Does any female on the planet believe in the mono-existence of the exclamation mark?

Me: Our relationship with the exclamation is complicated.

Dave: Something's wrong with women.

Me: Of course there is : )

Dave: No seriously. I like to think that some huge radioactive explosion took place in the era of early humans and damaged the Y chromosomes forever.

Me: Firstly, women have X chromosomes. Secondly, men have both.

Dave: see what I mean?!

Me: Well, it's called fifth grade science!!

Dave: Ok, ok, don't talk education to me.

Me: And a radioactive explosion in the era of early humans? Lol!!!

Dave: Let's play a game.

Me: Ok, what game?

Dave: You know, those relation games... I say a word, and within 3 seconds you gotta say whatever comes in your head, and it continues.

Me: oh, ok, you start.

Dave: Johnny Depp.

Me: Eye liner.

Dave: Black.

Me: White.

Dave: Chess.

Me: King.

Dave: Queen.

Me: Bishop.

Dave: Love triangle.

Me: You're weird...

Dave: Go on!

Me: Twilight.

Dave: Sex.

Me: Hot.

Dave: Ariel Winter.

Me: Pretty.

Dave: You.

My fingers reach across to type but suddenly freeze. Am I pretty? No. Caroline is.

It's at this moment the realisation hits me like a gust of cold wind. I'm not supposed to be talking to Dave. Dave doesn't know me and never will. My words, my virtual personality - it's all Caroline in his eyes. He doesn't deserve to be in this fake illusion. Caroline doesn't deserve to be false played.

Me: Dave, I gotta go. See you tomorrow?

Dave: Why suddenly?

Me: No reason.

Dave: Wait – you're not one of those conservative, easily butthurt girls, are you?

Me: No, no, I just have to go do homework.

Dave: Oh, ok. Bye, then.

My fingers hesitate in reluctance for a moment before I type.

Me: Bye.