#16 Back From Narnia

Burning debris. Screams. Smoke.

A lot of smoke.

"Run!" I hear a familiar voice. I see a body, charred and sprained, struggling to stand up.

I rush towards her.

"Run," It says again, voice raspy from the smoke. I feel the heat and the smell of burning flesh. Was it mine? Or was it hers?

I reach out for her as she stretches her arm towards me.

Just as I am about to pull her out of the fire, someone yanks me back before the flaming debris crumbles down upon her and she disappears into the black smoke forever.

I sit up, gasping and panting with my clothes drenched in cold sweat. I look around the dark cold room and the familiar smell of sanitizers and bed sheets calms me down. My breathing takes some time to return to normal. I sigh and knead my aching forehead. Closing my eyes, I take a deep breath and lie back down. Thankfully, I have pretty much recovered and I will be discharged from this dreaded place in a few more days.

Beep.

I sigh and run a hand through my messy hair. I remove the covers and slowly get up. My hands grope the nightstand for my phone until I come across it. Enough of isolating myself from the world. Dad had forbidden me from using my phone since I required complete rest.

The screen flashes up in front of my eyes.

26 missed messages.

13 missed calls.

8 voicemails.

I feel a little guilty as I quickly dial Ellie.

Her voice answers anxiously from the other end. I can tell it's groggy from sleeping, but still sounds anxious.

"Sarah...how are you? God, would it have killed you to pick up one call?"

"Sorry. I was very sick."

"I know. I talked to your Dad. I was worried sick! You just stopped coming to school one day and no one knew why. How are you?"

"I'm good. I'm great actually. I'll be joining school pretty soon, hopefully."

"Oh, I'm so glad to hear that! I miss you, Sarrie. Jake misses you too."

"Yeah, I know. I've missed you guys too." I lie back down, feeling tired suddenly.

"You sound tired. Why are you awake anyways?"

"Oh, you know," I say, "dreams."

"Nightmares?"

"No," I say, my voice firmer, "dreams."

"Okay, whatever. Get some rest."

"Alright. Good night, Ellie."

"Night, Sarrie. Please get well soon."

I hang up and lie in the dark for some time, listening to my own breathing.

I click on the missed messages and scroll through Dave's texts. I feel terrible for not having replied. He texted me every single day. I wonder if I should text him back right now. It's pretty late – almost 2 am.

Me: Hi, Dave.

After four minutes, my phone unexpectedly beeps.

Dave: So I see you're back from Narnia.

Me: Well, technically if I came back from Narnia I would have ended up returning in the same point of time that I left, so...

Dave: Okay smarty pants, you know what I mean.

Me: You're awake?

Dave: Apparently so are you.

Me: Sorry I couldn't reply to your texts.

Dave: You darn well should be. I tried to talk to you at school but you were busy with your cheerleading practice. I thought you were mad at me or something!

Me: No, of course not, why would I be mad at you?

Dave: Do women ever have a reason? Care to tell me where the hell you've been?

Dave won't really buy it if I tell him I've been sick, because, obviously, he has seen Caroline frolicking around in school.

Me: I had my phone confiscated. For staying out late.

Dave: For a whole week? Your Dad must be real strict.

Me: Yeah.

Dave: I've missed our conversations.

Me: I've missed them too.

Dave: You don't seem very tired. How about we continue with the question-game thingy?

Me: Alright. You'll ask, right?

Dave: Yep. So, what's your perfect idea of a date?

Me: A long drive or a romantic walk under the stars.

Dave: Ever wanted to kill yourself?

Me: Yeah.

Dave: What made you change your mind?

Me: I don't know. Chocolate, rain and my mom's memories, I guess?

Dave: Ever fell in love?

I feel the littlest, tiniest, slightest twist in my stomach at the words.

Me: I don't know.

Dave: Well...so there's definitely someone, right?

Me: I guess...

Dave: Are you guys close?

Me: Yes and no.

Dave: Does he make you happy?

Me: Uh-huh.

Dave: Do you care about him?

Me: Yes.

Dave: What do you like most about him?

Me: He's a good listener. Not many people have that quality.

Dave: Is he as good-looking as me?

Me: I dare say he is.

Dave: Would you still like him if he weren't?

Me: .....Yes.

Dave: I'd say you do love him then.

Me: You think so?

Dave: I'm no expert, but yeah. Is he confidential, though?

Me: Highly : )

Dave: Ok...well, he's a lucky guy.

Me: Really?

Dave: Yeah. You're pretty awesome.

Me: What about you?

Dave: Yeah, I'm pretty awesome too.

Me: No, have you ever loved somebody?

Dave: Oh yeah. I've been loving her for quite some time now.

Me: Stacey?

Dave: Maybe.

Me: Well, she's a lucky girl too.

Dave: I know ; )

Me: Can we sleep now? I'm kinda tired.

Dave: Alrighty. Good night, Carol.

Me: Night, Dave : )