Chapter Nine: God Damn Phony

Holden Caulfield's eyes were searching.

Searching for nothing it seem.

"Everything is PHONY, I tell you. The people, my wife, the government, and fucking John Lennon. Every famous person thinking about. Not just famous people, EVERYBODY." Holden said to the empty air that listen carefully. Then the air turned it's head and paid no attention.

His eyes looked down at the tattered book in his hands. The frayed cover had the words Catcher in the Rye, and yes Chapman was the catcher.  To make what was wrong into right. To protect innocence.

"You have a visitor Chapman, you wouldn't guess you it is!" The guard said chuckling.  Some sense got smacked in his, he was religious now, wasn't he?

"My wife?"

"Far from it.....John Lennon's sons."

"This should be interesting." Then he closed his eyes in delight.

                                      **********************************************************

Julian and Sean sat down in front of Chapman, looking through the glass.

"Boy if my mom knew," Sean paused. "Even if I am thirty-two I can still get my butt kicked."

"Then why don't you leave Momma's boy?" Chapman answered. Sean answered with a silent glare.

"We're here to ask you something, Chapman." Julian said in the forbidding silence.

"I can only guess." He said with a snicker.

"Our dad. Why did you do it?"

"Why? Because I'm CRAZY. Don't you know that? I finally just plead guilty, I was. I did shoot a mere five times." 

"But why? I know they are interviews, but I want you to tell me face to face. Look me in the eye." Julian said pointing to his depressed stricken eyes.

"I tell you why, your father was phony. PHONY. Preaching to the world about peace when he wasn't peaceful. Talking about not having material things when he did. Saying he was god. What else do you want to know? He was a liar and nothing more."

"He isn't a liar." Julian said quietly.

"Whatever makes you happy." Chapman said with a glare.

Julian realized in a lot of ways what was Chapman was saying was true.  He got up and turned to leave.

"Have a good day motherfucker!" Sean said flipping Chapman off with a satisfied smile.

"Don't tell any one we were here, and I mean it. No leaking off to the press. You make sure Chapman keeps his mouth shut." Julian said to the guard.

Julian and Sean left together.

Chapman all alone now expect for the security cameras and the dim lights said "Don't they know everything is phony?"

                                          ***********************************************************

Meanwhile John Lennon opened a door.  The dummy forgot to lock it when he gave John 'The Time Machine' book which was actually pretty good.

John was wearing blue jeans and some shirt that showed a band a he never heard of. The White Stripes. Also he was wearing some Buddy Holly glasses that he had with him. People didn't know John Lennon was quite blind.

He finally got to the last door and opened it.  It was beautiful he thought. Just bloody beautiful.

He started to walk down the street and realized he was New York. He only been here once to play a concert, and that was enough. New York was impressionable.

He walked pass some people, and you know what? Most of them didn't give a second glance. Freedom is what that spelled. Sweet freedom.  Down the street John noticed a second rate bar that tempted him, really tempted him.  He walked in forgetting he had not even a dime.

The first thing he noticed there wasn't any smoke, he loved that smell too. That was different. The bar was very dark, there wasn't enough lights to light it up. Then it had this smell he didn't particularly like.  That didn't stop him. He sat down at the bar counter.

"What would you like?" The bartender asked drying a glass, his eyes not on him.

John reached down into his pockets not finding anything. "Oh Shit. I forgot money." Lifting his hands up empty. "Just to enjoy the scenery then," He answered.

"Nope, that's a seat I could be getting money from. Move your butt and get the hell out."

"I don't think so, I can sit here."

"I own the damn place!"

"I'm not moving, sorry arse."

"I'm gonna kic-"  the bartender was interrupted. "No it's okay Ben, leave the man alone. I'll buy him a drink."

"Abbey you're always flirting with every cute guy who comes in here."

"It's my job."

John turned to look at her. "Well an angel came to rescue a lad in distress."

"No problem, my name is Abigail. You may call me Abbey." She said curtly. "What's your name?"

"Richard," John said after a moment. Sometimes he wasn't creative.

"Hello Richard." Abbey smiled.

The drink was put before him. A rum and coke, one of his favorites. John took a gulp and put back down.

"Boy you were thirsty."

"Yep I was. Thank you for the drink bird." He said smiling.

"You're not around here, are you?"

"Down from the U.K for a vacation. Nothing more."

"Here with your family? Or all alone." Abbey said curious.

"All alone." John said short and then took a real good look at Abbey. She had this real dark brown hair with smoky green eyes. She had full lips which was her best feature, and she had a slightly large nose that fit her face.

"When you're leaving?"

"I don't know when." John said with shrug.

'Sorry for being so damn nosy, one of my bad traits." She said with a smile.  John leaned in and gave a pat. "No worries." He answered.

"Good," She answered turning.

John tapped her on the shoulder. "Do you want to leave this stink place? Take a stroll..."

"Sure, we can leave my father's place." She said with a chuckle.

"I didn't mean it-"

"Yes you did, it's fine. He's a messy dude. Let's go."

And they did.

                                                   ***********************************

"You know who you remind me of?" Abbey said while walking on the sidewalk. The sun was almost gone and the day was turning into night.

"Who?" John knew what was coming.

"John Lennon."

"I get that a lot. That's why I play in this tribute group. It's fun." He said turning to look at her.

"God damn phony isn't it? Pretending to be someone else." Abbey said with a chuckle.

"Yep it is." John said serious.

God Damn Phony for sure.