Chapter 5

You woke up the next morning and changed into your work outfit before heading out to fix the last of the X-wings. You had almost finished fixing the last X-wing when a small orange and white droid came rolling over to you. "Hey buddy," you said, kneeling down in front of it. It started beeping and rolling around you. "Oh, your antenna," you said. You took off the droid's antenna and straightened it. "There you go," you said, attaching the antenna back on. "I've never seen your model in these colors... Whose droid are you?" The droid started to beep and rolled past you. You turned around and saw Poe.

You smiled and walked over to him. "He's yours," you asked. Poe smiled and nodded. "He's a-" "Astromerch BB model," you continued for Poe. Poe chuckled and put his hands on his hips. "How much do you already know about this droid," he asked with a grin. You sat down on the ground and the droid rolled over to you. "Astromerch BB unit. Programmed about 30 years after the Battle of Endor. Masculine programming. He has liquid cable launchers, a welding torch, holoprojector, and an arc welder," you looked up at Poe who had a shocked look on his face.

"His plating color is stainless oxium and he communicates using 27th generation droidspeak code...," you continued as you stood up, never breaking eye contact with Poe. "You're incredible. How did you figure that all out," he asked quickly. "I used to fix droids back home," you explained quietly. "I've seen a few BB units but never an orange and white one..." Poe smiled and looked down at you. "It's really impressive," he said. "Thank you," you said, blushing a little.

"I'm almost done fixing the last X-wing," you said. "BB-8 came over and I fixed his antenna for you..." Poe smiled. "Yeah, his antenna tends to get messed up," he said. You smiled and looked at the ground. "I should probably get back to work," you said quietly. You slowly headed back to the X-wing. "I'll help you," Poe said, walking along side you. "I mean, if you want me to.." You looked over at him, a bit shocked by his offer. "I... I'd like that a lot," you said quietly, a smile appearing on your face. Poe smiled back. "Thank you Poe," you added as you got back to the X-wing you had been working on. "I thought it was the least I could do. I mean, you did fix every X-wing in my squadron in a few days," Poe said as he watched you get back to work.

"You didn't have to do anything," you said with a shrug. "This is my job. I'm just doing what I signed up for. Can you hand me a wrench?" Poe handed you the tool and sighed. "But you're a really sweet girl. I thought it'd be nice to help you out, get to know you better," Poe explained. You froze. Poe was complimenting you. He wanted to get to know you. This was a shock to you. You quickly turned around to look at him. "You mean that," you asked him, raising an eyebrow. The pilot gave you a confused look. "Um, yeah. Why," he asked. You stared at him for a second before turning back to work again.

"It's just nice. No one has ever treated me like this before," you admitted. Poe leaned against the X-wing, looking at you as you worked. "Well I don't know why they haven't because what I said is 100 percent true," he commented. You sighed and blushed. "Thank you Poe," you said, glancing over at him. "You're welcome, checkers," he said with a grin. You laughed and reached over, playfully shoving him. "Hey! Focus on your work," he said, walking over to you. "Well I'm sorry sir, you're distracting me," you said, turning to look at him. He chuckled and stood in front of you. "Oh really," he asked with a chuckle. You leaned back against the X-wing. "Yep," you said, grinning back at him.

He smiled and took a step closer to you. "Now if you don't mind, I have work to do," you said, turning around to work on the X-wing again. Poe rested his chin on your shoulder and looked at you. "Am I still distracting you," he asked with a soft chuckle. You rolled your eyes and glanced over at him. "You're an idiot," you commented. "That's one of my most notable qualities," he said with a smile. "I think it's your only notable quality," you teased as you finished up fixing the ship. "Alright, pretty boy. I've finished fixing all the ships." You patted his head and stepped away from him. "Pretty boy," he asked with a chuckle. "Yeah, take it as a compliment," you said with a small smirk before heading back to the base.