Chapter 11

Days had gone by. Weeks had gone by. Poe still wasn't back. You were scared but you knew he could take care of himself. General Organa had moved you to the command room as a technician for communications. Toward the end of the month, you were sitting in the command room with the general, trying to fix some of the equipment when a radio signal came in. "Can you grab that for me, dear," Leia asked you. You nodded and headed over to the transmitter. "This is Corporal (Y/N) (L/N) speaking," you sighed. The voice that answer almost made you cry. "Getting all technical I see? Well this is Commander Poe Dameron."

You covered your mouth with your hands, relieved to hear his voice. "Checkers, I know you're happy but don't die on me," Poe continued. You laughed. "I'm here, don't worry," you said causing Poe to chuckle. "I thought you'd be happy to know I will be arriving back at the base in about an hour," he said. "And I'm still in one piece." You laughed again and ran a hand through your hair. "I expect you to be the first person I see when I get back," Poe continued as Leia walked over to you. "I will be. Don't worry, Dameron," you laughed. "Good. See you then. Dameron, out" Poe said before cutting off the transmission.

Leia smiled softly and hugged you. "I told you he'd be fine," she said with a soft laugh. You smiled. "I knew he would be, I was just scared," you said. Leia let go of you. "Take the rest of the day off, (L/N). Go spend time with Poe," she said. You sighed and smiled widely. "Thank you General," you said. With that, you headed out of the command room and to your room to change. You wandered around for a while before heading out to the hangar to wait for Poe. You sat and talked to some of the pilots before hearing the sound of an X-wing flying over. Poe's familiar orange and black X-wing landed a few minutes later and the man you had missed so dearly hopped out of it.

You ran over and hugged him tightly. Poe chuckled and picked you up, spinning you around. "There's my girl," he said with a grin. He set you down on the ground and wrapped his arms around your waist. You wrapped your arm around his neck and smiled widely. Poe smiled back and rested his forehead on yours. "I missed you," he said quietly. "I missed you too," you said. Poe sighed and let go of you. "I'll talk to you in a little bit, darling. I've got to go check in with the General for a few minutes," he said. You blushing at him calling you 'darling'. You let go of him. "Alright. I'll probably still be out here," you said with a slight chuckle. Poe gently kissed your forehead and headed into the base....

An alarm sounded and you shot up. It was all a dream. In reality, something had gone wrong during Poe's mission and now the Resistance and the First Order were in a heated feud. It wasn't Poe's fault for the failure, it wasn't his fault he was captured. He had come back battered and bruised, and what he said was "worse than the first time I got captured". But he was back, leading his squadron into battle. You quickly changed into your uniform and ran to the hangar. You covered your nose and mouth with your bandana due to all the exhaust from the X-wings and other ships.

You ran over to Poe's X-wing and started to make sure everything was ready for him. As you finished up, you felt an arm trace along the small of your back and you turned to see Poe. He put his jacket around your shoulders and gave you a small smile. "You're part of the team now. Might as well look like it," he said as he headed up the ladder into his X-wing. You pulled the bandana down around your neck, uncovering your mouth and nose. "Dameron, hold up," you said quickly. He slid halfway down the ladder and then hopped off. "What is it? I gotta go," he sighed. You looked into his eyes through his helmet and gently kissed him. "Be safe up there," you said quietly. Poe gave you a quick, rough kiss back. "I will, don't you worry," he said with a smile before heading back up into his ship. You smiled and backed away from the X-wing, watching it leave.

After his X-wing was out of sight, you ran into the command room to help with communications. You sat before a transmitter with a pair of headphones on as Leia walked over to you. "How are you doing, (Y/N)," she asked, placing a hand on your shoulder. That when you realized you were shaking. You moved one of the headphones behind your ear so you could hear the General better. "I'm worried," you said quietly. "Poe's going to be alright. He's our best pilot. If anyone can make it through this, he's the guy," she assured you. You smiled a little, knowing she was right.