Chapter 10

You woke up the next morning in Poe's bed. You slowly sat up to see Poe sleeping on the couch. You smiled a little and laid back, staring at the ceiling, waiting for Poe to wake up. Poe woke up a few minutes later. "Mornin' fly guy," you said as you slowly stood up. "Good morning checkers," Poe said as he sat up. You walked over and sat down next to him. "How'd you sleep," Poe asked, running a hand through his messy hair. "I slept well," you said. "And you could've let me sleep on the couch." Poe chuckled softly and yawned. "You were sleeping so soundly that I decided to give you the bed," he said.

You smiled and looked at him. He was really, really attractive. You couldn't help but stare. "Thank you for letting me stay the night," you said quietly. "You're welcome," Poe said with a grin. He smiled and sat back. Poe reached out and held your hand, a goofy grin on his face. You laughed and rolled your eyes. "I worry about you sometimes," you said with a soft chuckle. "A lot of people do," Poe laughed. You smiled and laughed again. "I should probably get back to my room," you said quietly. "I'll walk with you," he said as he slowly stood up. You stood up and reached to grab Poe's hand again. He smiled and headed out of his room, down the hall to your room.

"I meant to tell you this last night but you fell asleep so quickly that I didn't get to tell you," Poe said after a minute. You laughed. "Sorry, I was tired," you said. "But what is this thing you need to tell me?" The pilot sighed and looked down at you. "General Organa wants me to go on a sort of...undercover mission," he explained. "That's cool," you said, forcing a fake smile. "I don't know how long I'll be gone for," he continued. "Don't tell me that," you complained. "Remember earlier when I said that I worry about you? Well now I'm really worried..." Poe sighed and put his hands on your shoulders. "I'll be fine. I just didn't want to leave without telling you," he said quietly.

You sighed and hugged him tightly. "What's wrong," Poe asked quietly, hugging you back. "I don't want to lose you," you said, burying your face in his chest. Poe didn't say anything. "Promise me I won't lose you," you continued. Poe rested his chin on top of your head. "I promise," he whispered, holding you tightly. You smiled a little and sighed. "When are you leaving," you asked. Poe sighed and closed his eyes. "Later today," he answered. You hugged him tighter at his answer. "I'm sorry," he said quietly. You sighed and let go of him. "Don't apologize, you're just doing your job," you said.

Poe looked down at you and sighed. "I promise that when I come back, we'll take a trip to Yavin," he said with a small smile. You smiled widely. "You better come back in one piece," you said with a smile. The two of you started to walk to your room again. "I want to see you off," you continued. "And I'd like for you to be the last person I see before I leave," Poe said with a grin. "And why would that be, Mr. Dameron," you asked, raising an eyebrow. Poe shrugged. "Because you're my favorite mechanic, and probably the prettiest," he answered, looking down at you. You blushed and chuckled softly. "Are you flirting with me, Mr. Dameron," you asked, glancing up at him.

"Oh no, you caught me," he laughed. "Whatcha gonna do about it." You stopped at the door to your room. "You just have to wait and see. See ya later, fly guy," you said quickly before opening the door and stepping into your room, quickly closing it behind you. You heard Poe chuckle and walk off. You sighed softly and went to change into your uniform. You grabbed your bandana off the table beside your bed and shoved it in your pocket before heading out to fix some of the X-wings in Poe's squadron. You spent a few hours working on the ships before feeling a pair of arms wrap around your waist.

You jumped and turned around to see Poe. He chuckled at your reaction and you rolled your eyes. "Don't do that," you sighed and leaned back against the X-wing you were fixing, Poe's arms still wrapped around your waist. "Why aren't you wearing your flight suit?" Poe chuckled. "Because this is easier to function in than the flight suit," he said. You chuckled and grabbed the collar of his jacket. "It definitely looks a lot better than the flight suit," you said with a soft chuckle. He laughed and let go of you. "I've got to go," he said with a small frown. You followed him over to his X-wing and hugged him tightly. "Be safe, alright fly guy? I want you back here in one piece," you said quietly. "I promise you I will come back in one piece," he said with a soft chuckle, kissing your forehead. You kissed his cheek and backed away, watching him climb into his X-wing and fly away.