Chapter 7

You blushed as Poe grabbed you hand and headed off. There was a trail off to the side of the base heading through the woods. "There's nothing hiding in there that would like...hurt us, right you asked quietly and slightly nervously. Poe looked down at you. "This planet is the safest in the galaxy, don't worry," he assured you, wrapping an arm around your shoulders. You relaxed a little and rested your head on his shoulder. You felt safe with him, and you liked that. "I'm just not used to enclosed areas like this," you said quietly. "...Just sand monsters and such..." Poe chuckled.

"Well don't worry, I'll keep you safe from any monsters or whatever you think might be lurking in the woods," he said with a grin. "You're a dork," you laughed, gently shoving him. He laughed and looked at you as he started down the trail through the woods. You walked along side him. "Where are you from," you asked him. Poe looked over at you. "Yavin 4," he sighed. "What's it like," you asked. Poe thought for a moment. "It's beautiful. It's covered in trees and there are these temples that are so old, but yet so amazing." You smiled as Poe talked about his planet. "It sounds beautiful. I'd love to see it someday," you said.

Poe smiled at your comment. "Well, (Y/N), tell me about yourself. All I know is you're a mechanic from Tatooine," he chuckled. You shrugged. "That's all there is to know," you sighed. "No, there's certainly more to you than just that," Poe argued. "Just tell me random facts." You sighed and crossed your arms. "My name is (Y/N) (L/N). I grew up on Tatooine. My parents were both mechanics, mostly working on podracers and other vehicles. I took more of an interest in fixing droids," you started. "I saw X-wings running a drill on Tatooine one day and decided that I wanted to be a mechanic for the Resistance, but my parents wouldn't let me."

You sighed again and looked at Poe. "When news about the First Order gaining power got out, I decided I was going to join the Resistance. I snuck out one night and got a ride from a friend. That's how I got here...," you continued. Poe smiled. "See. There was more to you," he said. "You little rebel. Sneaking out of your house to run off and join the Resistance." He poked your rib cage and you laughed. He went to poke your ribs again but you playfully slapped his hand. "Stop it," you laughed. Poe pouted and his comlink started to go off. "Are you serious," he groaned, pulling the device out of his pocket. "What is it," you asked.

"It's a meeting," Poe sighed. "I'm gonna have to give you a rain check for the rest of this walk." You smiled a little. "Alright," you said, walking with him back to the base. You headed into the command room and stood beside him. "Am I allowed to be present during this," you whispered to him. The pilot nodded and the meeting started. "An ally has reported seeing a TIE fighter squadron patrolling over Hoth and a few other planets. There are also reports of the First Order attempting to create a base and rebuild their strength on Hoth," General Organa said as she walked to the table in the middle of the room. "Dameron, I want you and your squadron to go and check it out, and we are expecting that you'll get quite a bit of company."

You felt your heart drop. You weren't in anyway involved in this in any way, but you were scared. "Yes ma'am. I'll have the squadron assembled as soon as possible," Poe said with a nod. "You never let me down, Poe," Organa said with a grin. "Meeting dismissed." Poe looked down at you and smiled a little. "You want to help me get the squadron ready, checkers," he asked with a soft chuckle. You slowly nodded and followed him out to the hangar. You helped Poe hook BB-8 up to to his X-wing and made sure the other starships were ready. A few minutes later, the squadron was ready to take off.

Poe looked down at you and smiled, grabbing his helmet off the ground. You quickly hugged him tightly, causing his to drop his helmet again. He hugged you back. "Promise me you'll be safe," you said quietly, putting your head on his chest. "I promise," he said, gently kissing your forehead. You let go of him and picked his helmet up. You put it on him and smiled. "Good luck, fly guy," you said. "Thanks checkers," he said, smiling widely at you. You watched the pilot climb into his X-wing and take off. You sighed and headed back to the base, already missing Poe.