Chapter 8

You didn't have to work the next day. People were starting to worry, especially you. This mission shouldn't have taken this long. They had been gone for almost a whole day. The mission should have only lasted a few hours. You spent most of your day in your room, waiting for Poe to return. You were worried.

You finally decided to go look for one of your friends. Hopefully they weren't all running drills. You headed out to the hangar and a few X-wings landed. People ran over and you automatically recognized one of them. It was one of the X-wings you had fixed days earlier, a member of the Black Squadron. You quickly ran over with the other people in the hangar. There for four X-wings missing from the squadron, Poe being one of them. You felt your heart shatter and you wanted to break down crying.

You stood there for a while before sighing and heading back into the base. You were stopped short by the sound of more X-wings. You turned around and saw four more X-wings land. You ran over as Poe climbed out of his X-wing and tackled him into a hug. "Oh my god. Poe. I thought you were dead," you cried into his shoulder. "I promised you I'd be safe," he said, hugging you back. "When you didn't come back with the others I was scared," you said, looking up at him. "I made a promise and I keep my promises," he said with a smile. He took off his helmet. You let go of him.

"How'd it go," you asked. "It went well. We got quite a bit of company," he said, glancing over at the banged up X-wing next to his before going to unhook BB-8 from his X-wing. "I'll get on that as soon as I can," you said, looking from the X-wing back to him. "Or... We could take that walk that we planned," Poe said with a grin. You smiled and reached out to grab his hand. He grabbed your hand first and headed back to the trail. BB-8 trailed behind the two of you. "Where were we," he asked. You smirked and took your free hand, poking him in the ribs. "Okay okay. That's enough of that," he said with a laugh.

You chuckled and realized that you and Poe were still holding hands. You looked down at the ground, blushing. "So... Do you ever plan on going back to Tatooine," Poe asked quietly. You shook your head. "I don't have anything to go back for," you said. "What about your parents? You probably have someone special back on Tatooine...," he said, letting go of your hand. You laughed. "No. No way," you said. "I just stuck around with my parents. The only boys I would ever see where the ones who came in to have their droids fixed. I wasn't a very sociable person." Poe smiled a little, seeming a bit happy at your answer.

"Why do you always seem so hard on yourself," he asked after a minute. You looked up at him and raised an eyebrow. "What are you talking about," you asked. Poe sighed and looked at you. "Just the way that you answered my last question, like you couldn't imagine having a boyfriend. And the way you were talking to me when you were fixing the X-wings the other day, saying that you weren't used to being complimented and denying it when I said it," he explained. "Why do you do that?" You sighed. "Because I do," you said quietly. He stopped walking and looked at you. "That doesn't answer my question," he said. You sighed and stopped walking as well.

"You don't understand what I grew up with. My parents really didn't care about me. I had two friends growing up and I had one boyfriend when I was like 14," you explained. Poe sighed and looked at the ground. "I'm used to being put down. My relationship wasn't the best," you continued. Poe looked up at you, raising an eyebrow. "Your relationship with your boyfriend," he asked. You nodded. "He was only dating me as a joke with his friends. He used to refuse to hang out or spend time with me because I was a mechanic," you sighed, your voice starting to shake. Poe hugged you tightly and rested his chin on the top of your head.

"When we broke up he said that he did it because no one could ever love a girl like me," you said, hugging him back. "And my parents didn't seem to care and no one else seemed to care so I believed it..." You closed your eyes and put your head on Poe's chest, listening to his heartbeat. "Well you shouldn't believe them...," Poe said quietly. "Plenty of people would love you." You felt like crying at his comment. "C-can we just stop talking about this...please," you said quietly, your voice shaking a little. "Of course," Poe answered. You sighed and kept your head on his chest. "I like this more than the walk," you said quietly. Poe chuckled softly. "So do I..."