First Date

Twenty minutes later, it was awkward, silent and I was questioning myself why I actually agreed to Zak staying over here. I leaned up against the counter as I hid my growling stomach from Zak while he sat on my couch scrolling down his phone rubbing his temple. Suddenly, my stomach decided to do an earth-rattling growl that I swear broke a window. Zak looked over at me, a smirk playing on his lips, “How about we go grab something to eat? I'm famished.” Zak smiled at me, trying to hide the fact that my stomach growl just gave him a headache. I nodded, agreeing with his invitation. I grabbed my keys off the counter, along with my phone and my wallet and we were dashing out the door in seconds. “Are there any good food places in Spring City?” Zak questioned as we walked down the hallway from my apartment to the parking lot.

“Plenty.” I replied to him, “There's actually a little hometown pub a few blocks down. It's my favorite here.”

“Oh really? What do they serve?” Zak questioned.

“The usual. Burgers, steaks, ribs – anything that has bones you can bet they serve it.” I laughed. Zak laughed too, and it went quiet for a moment after that.

“Can we count it as a first date?” Zak smiled behind me. I almost stopped dead in my tracks. A first date? With, Zak? What. I swallowed hard as my stomach turned and caterpillars hatched out of their cocoons and butterflies erupted in my tummy. My hands became clammy around my keys, and a small smile emerged on my face.

“Uh,” I replied nervously, “Yeah.” Zak sighed behind me as we walked out the front door.

“Holy shit, it's cold.” Zak announced suddenly. I laughed at that.

“You aren't in Vegas anymore. Welcome to the cold.” I smiled at him as I made my way across a few parking spaces to my cooper. I unlocked the doors and we hopped in and drove off in seconds. Zak turned on the radio, and immediately switched to a rock station. It was surprisingly a good song – and it took the time of the song to get to our destination - “Reneges Grill & Bar.” Zak looked up and nodded, as if he was giving his approval to my choice. We got out of the car, and walked inside of the pub.

Instantly, music swallowed us. It was just loud enough to be heard over the packs of loud people. The dark green walls plastered with gaudy paintings, and mud brown carpeting spattered with stains were somewhat inviting. The aroma of meat on a grill waved its way throughout the small pub, and the tables that scattered the floor were half empty. A lady with big blonde hair, red lipstick, strolled her way over to us, her apron shifting over each leg. She gave us a cheeky smile and said, “Marilyn, nice to see you again! Table for two?”

I laughed softly and replied, “Yes, Beatrice, thank you.” She led us over to a small table in the corner as Zak eyed me curiously. We sat down, and Beatrice smiled at us.

“Whaddya'll have to drink?” Beatrice said to us rushed. The place wasn't that busy, but the people who were here look like business people – and they sure didn't like to wait.

“I'll have a hot tea,” I replied to Beatrice, “Ho-”

“Hold the packet for you ta dip, bring extra sugar 'n' extra cream. I got it honey. Ya'll know I 'member.” Beatrice smiled at me as she scribbled it down on her order paper. I smiled at her, and looked at Zak.

“Hot Chocolate.” I said for him, “Extra puffed cream, syrup on top of cream, sprinkles and cinnamon.” Zak looked at me confused as Beatrice walked away. “You'll thank me later.” I stiffed a laugh and shifted under his stare.

“So,” Zak said after looking away from me and shaking his head, “How do you know – uh, what's her name?” I smiled.

“Beatrice?” I asked as I opened my menu and began looking over it. “Oh, I've been coming here since I was little. I used to go here every weekday with my grandma.. before she passed.” I whispered the last few parts and shook my head, “She's like family.” Zak nodded understanding, and I was half glad he didn't hear that I said my grandmother had passed away. Zak looked over his menu quietly. Finally, Beatrice came back with our mugs full of heavenly-goodness. Zak looked at his cups, and I could almost see his mouth begin to water at the sight of the cream.