The Right Choice

Marilyn Anderson

“Aaron if you run around the RV one more time I'll punch you in the knee.” Zak growled at Aaron. Aaron was acting utterly childish. Zak was driving and I was attempting to fall asleep on the bed in the back of the RV. I was severely annoyed with the way Aaron was acting, and the way Zak was acting towards me. Billy was obviously annoyed also, because he had shoved a pair of headphones in his head and dozed off on one of the four bunk beds in the RV. I let out a sigh and turned to my side, looking at my phone and attempting to pass the next level on Pet Rescue Saga. Curse my friend for showing me this game.

“I'm sorry!” Aaron cried childishly, “I'm just excited.” I could see Zak roll his eyes. I let out a sigh and curled up in the blankets groaning in frustration as the level informed me I had no beat it. I climbed out of the bed, the chill of the air conditioning rupturing me – until I climbed up into the passenger seat of the RV. Zak smiled at me, and then his eyes went back on the road.

“How long do you think it'll take for Aaron to shut up?” I smiled quietly. Zak looked over at me and gave me a weak smile before folding his hand over mine. He didn't say anything – Zak was tired, I could see it in his eyes. He had been driving for a long time without any rest. We didn't realize it would be such a long drive for Zak, or we would've taken a plane or a train. “You want Bill to drive?” I asked. Zak shook his head.

“He's sleeping.” Zak replied. I glanced over at the clock, almost 9 at night and Zak had been driving since about 6 this morning. “I don't want to wake him up.” Zak tried to make an excuse. I rolled my eyes.

“He won't care.” I said standing up, “Hey Bill?” I called out, Billy stirred – and his eyes opened and looked at me. “Could you drive for Zak for a while? He's getting tired.”

“No problem,” Billy grunted, “Just pull over.” I smirked at Zak as he pulled the RV over and put the break on and stood up, wobbling under his sleepy legs. I laughed at him, helping the foot taller man across the RV to the bed, where he collapsed. He was out before he hit the mattress.

“Not sleepy my ass.” I laughed pulling off his shoes and socks. I ripped off his shirt after tipping him over on his back and pushing him up to the pillow and covering him up. Huffing from the effort it had taken to fix him in bed, I plopped down beside him, running my hair through his hair, messing it up. He was going to get pissed if he woke up and his hair was horrible, but who cares? I smiled at him.

I wasn't sure how it was going to go this weekend with Aaron – and I didn't think I wanted to know. I didn't want Aaron here – I think it would've been fine if only Billy and Zak came, and it would've been much more fun. I curled Zak's hair through my fingers and smiled. His eyes were closed and soft snores echoed through his mouth. I giggled at him before pulling out my phone and snapping a picture and tweeting it, “Aww.. look who fell asleep. Such a good driver. #longdrive (:” I giggled as I tagged him – knowing he would get it whenever he woke up.

I walked to the front of the bus, Aaron had died down and ended up with headphones stuck in his ears. Thank god, that made everyone’s day. Billy was silently sitting at the steering wheel – bobbing his head up and down to some tunes. I sat in the passenger seat again, throwing off my shoes before resting them on the dashboard. “Hey there.” I smiled at Billy, “How's driving?”

“Boring,” He laughed, “This drive seems shorter when you're the passenger.” I smiled at him.

“You know how much longer?” I asked.

“I'd say another few hours.” Billy said slyly, “What's Zak up to back there?” He looked in the mirror, but quickly verted his eyes back to the road.