Accidentally In Love

Marilyn Anderson

“Marilyn, wake up. Our flights leave in an hour.” Zak announced from the bathroom. There were multiple reasons why I didn't want to get up. First of all, it was five o'clock in the freakin' morning, and no normal person wanted to wake up at this time for a flight. Secondly, Zak and I were to take different flights, and we weren't going to see each other until next lockdown, when I will join them only for photography reasons. I covered my head with the pillow to block out the light of the lamp. “Marilyn, C'mon.” Zak announced, his voice getting louder as he came out of the bathroom, and pulled the pillow off of my head.

“Noo.” I wined, shaking my head and squeezing my eyes closed, before opening them slowly to see smiling Zak. “I don't want to get up.” Zak laughed at me, and shook his head. His wet hair was sloppy on his forehead, and drips of water fell down his nose.

“I don't want to be up either,” Zak smiled weakly, “but it's time to go home.” I sighed and slowly sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. Zak must've just gotten out of the shower, because he had a hotel towel wrapped around his waist. Zak turned around when he saw me wake, and walked back to the bathroom. The door shut, and I sighed.

This trip had been amazing. I had got to spend it with some of my best friends, and Zak and I were.. wait. What were we? I rubbed my temples, and pushed the thought out of my mind. It didn't matter – did it? No matter what happened, Zak and I were to be tore apart until next lockdown. I bit my lip to hold back tears, and shook my head. I couldn't think about it – I didn't want to think about it. I pushed myself out of the bed, and walked over to my suitcase on the ground. I pulled on a pair of sweatpants over my shorts. I looked for a sweatshirt, before I realize I didn't bring one to Italy with me. I huffed, and crossed my arms, annoyed with myself. Just then, Zak wandered out of the bathroom, wearing a pair of sweatpants and a black T-shirt. “Hey,” Zak smiled again, “Why do you look grouchy?”

“I can't find a sweatshirt and I'm freezing.” I admitted. Zak smirked, and opened up his own suitcase which was thrown on the bed. He began rummaging through it, before he pulled out a pullover hoodie. He tossed it to me, and I held it up. It had the Ghost Adventures symbol on the front of it, and Ghost adventures Crew written on the back of it. I looked over at Zak.

“Keep it.” Zak smiled. I rose my eyebrows, but didn't question it. I pulled it over my head, and it smelled of cologne. I stood up, and pulled on a pair of boots from my suitcase, and then began to pick up all of my things that were thrown about the room. I threw them all in the suitcase, and then zipped it up. Zak disappeared to his room to finish packing, and I almost lost it. In the silence of the room, my mind through about Zak going back to Vegas. He would be around party girls, MMA, and drinking – things that he was used to doing – he would forget about me, and he would go back to his normal life.

Would he though? On the slight chance that he would actually remember to call me back, text me good night, or on the even slighter chance that he would come out and see me? He probably wouldn't though. He would be so caught up in his own life, that he would forget about me, and anything we had together. I ran my fingers through my hair and sighed, picking up my phone and putting it in my pocket. Just then, Zak rolled walked back in, parking his suitcase in the hallway. “Ready?” He asked. No, hell no. I wasn't ready. But I had no choice, did I? I stood up, pulled my suitcase to the door, and followed Zak out the door. Aaron and Nick met us in the lobby after we returned our key cards and thanked them for their service. Billy and Jay had took an early flight yesterday to get home to their families. With no words, Aaron, Nick, Zak and myself made our way outside in our awaiting taxi that drove us to the airport.

We were all taking different flights expect for Aaron and Zak. My flight was to take me to Pennsylvania, Nick was taking a flight to Massachusetts, and Zak and Aaron were flying out to Vegas. We checked in, and waited for them to call our terminals. Aaron and Nick sat on one side of the waiting room, talking to each other about the lockdown. Zak and I wandered over to the far side of the waiting area. We sat next to each other, my head on his shoulders, his arms around me. “Zak?” I whispered after a few moments.

“Yeah, sweetie?” Zak whispered to me, running his fingers through my hair.

“What's gonna happen when we leave?” I whispered to him, tracing little shapes in his thigh. Zak let out a soft sigh, but didn't reply. That wasn't a good sign was it, it was just a sign that not only did he not know, I didn't know either. Anything could happen, and it could be good or bad – and I knew that we were both expecting the bad.

After everything that happened here, especially with the ghosts, I didn't want to go home and face the ghosts at home by myself. I didn't know how they felt about me leaving, and how they felt about me hanging around with Zak, but I didn't think they were too happy about it. Zak sighed again, and I could feel him shifting. I put my head up and looked at him. There was hurt in his eyes – but I didn't question it, Instead I bit my lip as his eyes wandered into mind. “Marilyn,” Zak began, “I can't tell you what's going to happen when we go our separate ways until next lockdown – but I can promise you this. I won't forget about you, I won't stop thinking about you, until I see you again.” I stared at him as he said this, his lips barely moving, “I feel something with you that I have never felt with anybody before.” I smiled at that, and leaned my head against his chest.

“I feel it too,” I admitted. Zak hugged me, and pressed his lips against my hair. We didn't say anything more, just sat there in each others arms, until we heard the dreaded words that neither of us wanted to hear for another few hours.

“Flight 345 to Philadelphia Pennsylvania is now boarding in terminal 3.” We stood up, Zak grabbing my carry-on bag, and began walking me over to the boys so I could say my goodbyes. Aaron greeted me with a big hug.

“We're gonna miss you, Mar!” Aaron exclaimed into the hug, his smile so big that it took up half his face, “This trip has been awesome, especially because you got to come with us!” I laughed and completed Aarons hug. Aaron pulled away, and I was greed by Nick's hug.

“You're a great member of our crew,” Nick smiled, “I'm glad that you're here with us. Have a safe flight, call me and tell me if you had a safe flight when you land.” I loved Nick, he was always so caring. He was like a big brother that I never had.

“Thanks guys, I'll see you later.” I smiled at them before walking off with Zak to find my terminal. Once we found it, Zak pulled me into a tight hug. I was crushed against his body and between his arms. “Zak.. too.. tight.” I gasped. Zak laughed and loosened his grip, but didn't let go.

“I'm gonna miss you, Marilyn.” Zak whispered.

“I'll miss you too, Zak.” I said. Zak took an arm out from around me, and took my chin between his fingers before crashing his lips to mine. I melted into his kiss, the people around us staring. Zak let go of me, and looked at me. I hugged him once more, before picking up my carry-on and throwing it over my shoulder. Zak watched me disappear into the terminal, after I got my passport checked in. Walking down the terminal to the plane, my heart saddened. I'm going to miss everything about Zak. I'm going to miss his touch, his laugh, his smile, his everything. Zak had become everything to me, and I knew he was going to protect me if his life depended on it.

I boarded my plane, and found my seat with ease. Zak had booked me a first class seat, and a window seat. I wouldn't doubt that Zak did that on purpose. I got settled in, and shoved my bag in the overhead carrier. I looked out the window, putting my headphones in my ears. I could faintly see someone standing in the walled windows of the airport. A man wearing all black, Zak. He was waving, his hand high above his head, and throwing it back and forth. I smiled at this, and gave him a small wave out the window. I don't know if he saw it or not, but continued to wave at the plane. There had to be people laughing at him, but he didn't care. He simply cared about waving me good-bye. My music started to play, and it made me smile, because it described what was happening between me and Zak.

                     “We're once upon a time in love , We're accidentally in love”