Chapter 5

Samantha and Zenin progressed well with their training, while Jackie and Christina helped Evie learn as much as they could about the Shroud of Eden. Samantha also sparked a close friendship with Adam, who she discovered was supporting his ill mother and younger brother. She had even visited his small family; his little brother was incredibly adorable and had a fascination with playing with her hair. She adored the boy greatly and always took him along with some of the orphans to small picnics whenever she could.

Zenin and the orphans had their days; Zenin prefered children who were related to her over children in general. The orphans seemed to immediately sense that and it only took a second for them to decide that they didn't really like her either. This often led to the orphans pranking and stealing from Zenin, they would even force Zenin to chase after them for blocks until either she caught them or she gave up and had Samantha go get her possessions back. It was more often the latter over the former.

"I think you guys need a new hobby." Samantha groaned as Zenin came back to the train, panting and her face flustered. Anges had left to do her normal shopping routine already. "What happened this time?"

"Little brats took my money again." she huffed, "I got it back after chasing them around for almost an hour."

Samantha shook her head; sometimes she wondered if the orphans were being paid off to harass Zenin in order to keep the blonde in shape. She wouldn't be surprised and it made better sense rather than them just going out of their way to bug the blonde. "You need to not be so hard on them."

Zenin only grumbled a response back as she headed to the sofa, plopping herself onto the glorious cushions. "Whatever, what's on the agenda?"

Samantha pulled out a letter and held it like it was a filthy rag. "I received an invitation for a walk with Starrick next week."

"Ah, you mean your lover?" Zenin playfully reverted to her fake french accent and nudged Samantha's arm. "It's been awhile since he asked you out."

"Jacob might be responsible for that." Samantha laughed, she remembered how he bragged about stirring trouble for the Grandmaster after the older man had bumped into her while she was shopping. Jacob never specified what kind of chaos he caused but, she was certain that it wasn't anything small.

"Eh, he would be." Zenin stretched her limbs a bit, poking Samantha with her toe. "You have anything to do today?"

"Not really but, Evie did suggest we go ask Clara and the orphans about some leads."

"That's the worst suggestion I have ever heard." Zenin's nostrils flared in disgust at the suggestion.

Samantha gave her best friend a short laugh. "I figured, how about just keeping guard while I ask?"

"Fine."

The two girls left the train and headed to the hideout of Clara's friends. They decided to travel via the buildings' roofs to avoid compromising the group's location. When they arrived, Zenin stayed on the roof of the building to avoid facing the children while Samantha went down to talk to them.

"Hello kiddies." Samantha greeted the children, who happily approached her. "Who has what for me?"

"Me!" A small boy named John raised his hand, "I heard that someone has his eyes on Jacob."

Samantha resisted the urge to giggle, "Jacob has a suitor?" Then she thought about it, little John used a male pronoun. Homosexuality couldn't be well received in this time era.

"It's that creepy man from the theatre." He explained, "I even heard him asking some people about the Rooks."

That part troubled her, what kind of interest does this guy have? "Okay, creepy guy from the theatre. Anyone know who that is?"