Chapter 9

Evie and Henry decided long ago to discuss all private matters away from the girls, choosing his shop to be a meeting ground for plans that didn't require the girls. Jacob rarely came by, and when he did it never ended well between him and Evie. Tonight, however, was different. Slightly.

"We couldn't find anything we wanted." Evie sighed, sipping her tea while the three assassins discussed their next plan of attack. She was rather surprised that Jacob was even present, it made her curious to know what was going on with her younger twin. She had always taken note of how her brother acted, it was something her father taught her to do so that she would always know when he was thinking of or already gotten into trouble. Usually she never minded his smug aura; it was a sign that he was okay and, therefore, comforting to her. Now, the aura was replaced with one that suggested he knew something that she nor Henry did not.

Jacob was never good with secrets, his ego never allowed for it and his mouth was rather loose to begin with. He lacked restraint and discipline, he never cared for that much less had the patience to learn it. How he was managing to keep whatever secret he had to himself was rather intriguing and Evie knew she had to get him to open up.

"Well, Starrick is a businessman." Henry told her, hoping to to the atmosphere light. Although there wasn't much of a need for it since Jacob was being rather understanding. "Perhaps we're not thinking like him, the hunt for the Pieces is business for him."

"I doubt we have time for that." Jacob spoke almost solemnly, "What do you know for sure? Focusing on information that isn't confirmed won't do much."

"We know little, Jacob." Evie told him, "What about your Rooks?"

"The Rooks?"

"Surely they've heard word about Starrick's remaining men." she reasoned, "Or have you only been getting into trouble at a fight club again?"

Jacob didn't tense like Evie had hoped he would, his dirty little secret had nothing to do with him dragging Samantha to one of those establishments. "I see Clara or her little gremlins told on me."

Evie rolled her eyes, Zenin usually referred to the orphans by a variety of names and she wasn't too surprised that Jacob began to do the same. "I know you too well Jacob Frye, although I wouldn't go so far as to say that I had them follow you. Word got around about a young girl causing a ruckus there, Clara figured it was you and Samantha."

"A good fight in my opinion." he grinned, "I'm surprised you didn't try snarling at me for it sooner."

Henry shook his head, "We're getting nowhere and off topic."

"I agree." Jacob smiled at his sister although it lacked its aloofness and charm. Maybe she wasn't too far off. "My Rooks are avoiding Starrick's underlings since I was informed about Maxwell Roth, to answer your previous question."

Evie took in his answer and found it odd that he listened to the girls' warning. There was something amiss and it was right in front of her, she just knew it! "I see, perhaps we can use Roth to our advantage?"

Henry and Jacob stopped and stared at Evie, that suggestion was sheer madness. Roth was a dangerous man and certainly not someone Jacob was too sure he was comfortable with. Besides, he had Samantha to consider and no matter quick she was to think on her feet, she stood no chance against a criminal mastermind. Not yet, at least, and nor would he allow that to happen.

"Miss Frye-"

"He's the one in control of the Blighters, they answer to him more than anyone." Evie stated simply, "We heard how far his infatuation with Jacob goes and we can use that to gain an upper hand; so long as we play our cards right."