Chapter 10

Jacob and Adam approached the theatre alone, they were not happy about being together like this. Zenin and Jackie made it clear that, should they screw this up, Roth would be the least of their worries. Henry joined them for more of their trek, leaving them once they got close enough to the territory to where they felt Roth would be watching them. Zenin was quick to exploit the use of the Rooks and had many of the men already searching for Samantha. Evie went off to find and, hopefully, end Lucy Thorne's search for the Shroud as well as to see what kind of activities the Blighters were up to.

"I don't suppose there's an actual plan to play off of, is there?" Adam asked with irritation ever so present in his voice. He was not happy about doing this at all.

"We go in and listen to what Roth has to say." Jacob answered calmly, even if he wasn't feeling so relaxed. "Mind your words, one wrong move and we might find Samantha's corpse in the rivers."

Adam only nodded, his thoughts were more focused on Samantha's well-being and what might have happened to her already. This felt like when his father went missing those few years ago, the never ending wonder of could happen and what might already have occurred. He didn't like being in the dark with uncertainty and childish hopes.

"Focus Adam," Jacob told the younger man while his own gaze stayed fixed upon the damned theatre. "Your thoughts are easy to read through your eyes and we don't want him to see what we're really after."

"As if he doesn't know." Adam muttered to himself as he straightened his posture.

Jacob let out half a chuckle, "He's self centered, if our intentions aren't blatantly obvious then he will delude himself into thinking our alliance is true to what we're going to promise."

Adam went silent as they entered the building; now that they were being escorted by Blighters, they had to hold their tongues. No doubt these murderous fools would tell their boss of all their whisperings and side comments. If Roth planned on having them under constant surveillance, then they would have to be far more cautious when at the train.

"Any weapons?" A guard asked as they approached Roth's office. "You can keep them, we just need to know what you have."

Jacob glanced at Adam and then sighed, he lifted up his arm with his hidden blade before pulling out whatever he had on him. Adam pulled out his knife and brass knuckles, he wasn't ranked high enough to carry more easily concealed weapons.

The guard nodded to the escorts and the duo were allowed to enter the office. Once inside, the escorts promptly turned on their heels and left so that Roth could speak to them in private. Roth was silent, keeping his gaze out the window even though he wanted to see Jacob Frye's face up close. Because of his staring toward the world outside the building, Roth's back was toward the two men.

"Quite the menace to find, you are." Roth said when the door clicked, signaling that they were locked inside. "I suppose you're eager to hear about that girl."

"To keep us at ease, yes." Jacob told the older man, doing his best to not take a step toward the man's desk.

Roth chuckled, turning toward them. "She's well, a bit...ah..battered from her struggles."

"Then I expect her to stay well," Jacob warned Roth, making it clear that he would hunt Roth down if she received more injuries. "I don't like my students being near death."

Roth nodded, "As expected. Now, let us get to the business we're here for."

"Yes, let's." Jacob gestured to a chair for Adam while he stayed standing. "What is it you're after exactly? If I am not mistaken, you work with Starrick."