Chapter 16

Jacob waited outside the small hospital while Samantha was being given a checkup. He said that he wanted to talk to Evie first but, in reality, he just didn't want to see Samantha's injuries in a better light. The girls didn't seem to mind as they bombarded Samantha with questions over what had happened to her while in captivity. He knew that he would have to see her tomorrow and see what had been done to her; for now, he was content with being oblivious.

"How is she?" Jacob looked up as he heard Henry and Evie come up to the small hospital. They both looked tired and he could guess that the panic of the citizens was a bit much for them. If he had known that Roth was planning to burn Alhambra Music Hall, he would have done more to help them.

Jacob shrugged, "Haven't heard a thing yet." He nudged his head toward the door, silently telling them that they can enter. "Go on in if you want."

Henry did, but Evie decided that she and Jacob needed to talk in private. She encouraged Henry to go in alone as she gestured for Jacob to move toward the street. Jacob reluctantly pushed himself off the wall he was leaning against and followed his sister.

"Quite a night." She commented with a sly smile, staring up at the smog-filled sky. It was times like these that made her miss the countryside's starry nights. "Burning buildings and public frenzy. Sergeant Abbeline will have his hands full tonight."

Jacob shrugged again, not too sure what he could say about the evening's events. "I suppose worse could have been done. What about the Templars?"

Evie sighed, "Not sure. I can say that now, we're in for some trouble."

"I can finish off Twopenny and the Earl," Jacob assured Evie, with his trademark sly smirk. With Samantha under their protection again, he had returned to his normal self for the most part. "Once they're gone, it'll just be Starrick."

Evie nodded in agreement, "Yes, we should still exercise caution, though." She looked around and sighed, "We have to get rid of all the Blighters as well."

"More gang wars?" Jacob laughed, tucking his arms behind his head. "I can certainly handle that."

Evie chuckled lightly, "Yes, I know." She gently pushed her brother and gave him a sad smile, "Jacob...."

Jacob looked her in eyes, curious for a minute before realizing what the tone meant. His shoulders slouched, he knew very well where she was going with that look. "You're never going to drop it." He should have known that his studious sister was still going to push the subject of the girls' origins.

"No, I'm not." Her smile weakened into a small frown, "It's not right to keep the rest of us in the dark, dear brother."

He sighed and hung his head, "I don't want to tell you but, I don't want you to ask them either." He was still worried for the girls; he didn't want them to be confused as prophets or anything related to the Pieces of Eden. He could only imagine what might happen to the girls then.

Evie placed a gentle hand on her brother's shoulder, "Jacob Frye, is it right to keep secrets in a partnership?"

He playfully nudged Evie, "Don't use those words of wisdom on me." He looked up at the sky and reluctantly came to an agreement with Evie. "Let me talk to Samantha first, she can gather the girls from there."

Evie nodded, "Alright, I hope you keep to your promise."

Jacob smiled and nodded, "I will."

֍

Samantha and the girls all chattered on about recent events; the popular topic was about how Zenin and Adam had started to fight with each other constantly. Zenin insisted that Adam was behaving irrationally with Jacob, blaming the assassin for Samantha's capture. This was what usually led to them getting into scraps and Zenin always was the victor of the fights.