Chapter 6

Jackie let out a long and tired sigh, she had spent hours studying the Shroud of Eden. Christina had long since forsaken the project and Jackie didn't mind. The documents were already hurting her head and Christina's constant whining only added to her headache.

"You look like shit." Samantha noted aloud as the other girl entered the small lounging area. The Rooks had gone home for the evening so it was empty for now. "Take it you took no breaks?"

Jackie just shook her head, plopping herself beside Samantha as Zenin had stolen the only chair and was happily draped across it. "Where'd you two head off to? Jacob was looking for you, Sam."

"Investigating, we heard Jacob has a stalker so we went snooping around." Zenin yawned, Henry had left to follow after Evie so they were waiting for them to come back. "Not only is he working with the Templars but, he's a gangster so he has control over some of the criminal enterprise."

"Is that so?" Jackie rolled her head toward Samantha, "Did you see him?"

Samantha nodded, "Try to imagine an older man with a creepily small mustache, a really fucked side profile of his face, and crazy wide eyes."

Jackie shuddered at the mental image she made, "Gross, how can people think he's okay?"

"Well..." Samantha stretched her limbs, "people who work in the showbusiness don't alway come off as mentally sane so, I think he's got a decent pass."

Jackie nodded and leaned back, her back made a few unsettling cracks before her muscles felt more relaxed. "Anything else that I missed?"

"Nothing really. Although, next week Sammy's got a date with the Grandmaster." Zenin wiggled her eyebrows suggestively. "Jacob must be all jelly, huh?"

Samantha groaned, ever since Zenin told her that Jacob followed her from that first tea time the teasing had been relentless. Samantha didn't see why he would care about her, the two had barely any interaction with one another since he left her training to Charlie. He had only barely started teaching her the ways of the Assassins and even then, his teachings varied in scheduling. She hadn't been taught much past free running and scaling.

"Not tonight, Zenin," Jackie said softly, "I got a killer headache and you two fighting will only make it worse."

"Thank god." Samantha sighed in relief, she wasn't in anymore of a mood to argue with Zenin than Jackie was to hear it. "So, anything new on the Shroud?"

"Nothing Evie hasn't already learned." Jackie stated with an almost cold tone. "She's not going to get anywhere reading the same text over and over."

Zenin let out a soft hum, "I suppose that's something you're going to have to take up with her."

Just then, Evie and Henry returned from whatever trip they were on. Evie look thoroughly exhausted and Henry was still fairly alert, although feeling a strain. He took one glance at Samantha and Zenin and held out his hand.

"We got his journal and some old letters from the Grandmaster." Samantha stated, handing their findings to the Indian man. "Zenin also said that she and Adam found some random papers with Jacob's name written on them, only his name is scratched out, seemingly out of frustration."

"How do you know that it was scratched out of frustration?" Evie asked curiously, her weariness showed in her eyes. She sat down on a chair that didn't all too comfortable, Samantha had moved out of the booth and offered her spot to the older woman. Evie took it and sunk into the booth's cushion.

"We call people like him Yandere." Samantha explained, "The literal meaning of word is lovesick and these people are incredibly dangerous."

"They're manipulative and great at achieving chaos." Zenin added, despite her limited knowledge of the famous trope. "Also, they have some insane mood swings."