Chapter 13

Starrick had received word about Lucy Thorne's death and chose to busy himself by writing a letter that the dead woman would never receive. The letter detailed how he intended to pay her for her assistance but, despite what she had said that day, he never was going to share the Shroud with her. In his own words, only one person could wear the Shroud. Even so, he would miss his second in command for reasons that were quite obvious. He was losing his best underlings, they were dropping like flies and he still didn't have any results on the Shroud. He did have Lucy's work though; it was something he could work off of and he would have to take full reigns of the search this time. Without Lucy, he didn't have anyone he could trust with the task.

"Master Starrick?" A Templar entered the room, bowing to his boss as best as he could without showing his fear.  "The Earl of Cardigan is here to see you."

Starrick nodded, knowing well enough why the Earl was there. "Very well, allow him in."

The Templar nodded and left, passing along the Grandmaster's order. Very shortly after the younger man left, the Earl entered the room and closed the doors behind him.

"Crawford." The Earl bowed to his Grandmaster, he had just received news of Lucy Thorne's demise and hurried over to see what Starrick had in mind. "I trust, you know why I am here."

"Is it about the Assassins, James?" Starrick asked, pushing away the letter he had just finished for Lucy. He would have one of the lower ranked Templars take it to her grave for him. "I imagine their conquest has instilled some sort of unease as of late."

"Had Twopenny and I not warned you about that man?" The Earl asked; he knew where he stood when it came to confronting his leader and he was not trying to insult the Grandmaster. It was more of a matter of making Starrick see his mistake and correct it. "That Assassin means business Starrick. First the doctor, then Ms. Attaway, now Ms. Thorne. Who will die next? Society is crumbling as we speak."

Starrick sighed, pushing himself out of his chair. "Yes, yes. I am aware that I failed to take in the seriousness of the Assassins' pursuits." Starrick walked over to a window, leaning against it with his forearm, and sighed, "Roth's betrayal only adds to our problems."

"A madman he is. Always was." 

Starrick moved away from the window, "I need that Shroud. That's what they're looking for."

The Earl nodded, "Yes but, only the girl and Indian man are looking for that. That...Jacob Frye, he's the one carelessly slaughtering us."

Starrick thought about that, Jacob was the one that was causing all this mischief. Jacob was also the one that his Samantha was in love with, supposedly. "James, if it is not a bother to ask, would either you or Twopenny know of a place where Roth would be able to hide a person?"

"Not myself. Twopenny did mention that there was an old house outside of London that Roth was rather fond of. An ugly thing too." The Earl didn't understand why the Grandmaster would ask a question like that.

"Where?" Starrick asked, eager to explore this area for the girl he loved. His Templars already searched the city for her, they couldn't find her anywhere.

The Earl shrugged, still confused but answering nonetheless. "Like I said, I would not know. Ask Twopenny, Roth took him there once and he had a man held prisoner there back then."

"I'll have to see him soon." Starrick sighed, taking a glance at Lucy's papers that detailed her search for the artifact. It said that the artifact wasn't in the Tower Of London as the woman once thought, although there was hope that it might be within another landmark. However, Evie Frye had regained the key needed to open the vault. The fact that, at the moment, the Assassins had the upper hand only meant trouble for them. "I cannot guarantee that you and Twopenny will survive to see the end."