Chapter 12

Jacob exited the freight train when he was certain he was outside of London. He chose to go only far enough to where he could see the city at a fair distance, far enough for there to be some old farms or country estates. He hadn't an idea where to look first, he could only just wander and hope he would stumbled upon the hideout. While that was not his best plan, there was little he could do to begin with.

Jacob searched around for some time, there actually weren't many homes or even shacks around here. It gave him both hope and dread as that made his search more easier to narrow down while, in turn, meaning that there was an equal chance that he wouldn't find her. However, there was an undeniable sense of confidence in him that he couldn't shake.

There were only so many places Roth would have been able to hide her within London, without arousing suspicion any sooner than he already did. Surely Roth had considered all possible outcomes when it came hiding Samantha anywhere, tearing apart the city would be the first thing he'd expect of them. With that in mind, it seemed only logical for him to create a prison for her outside of the city. This was what Jacob kept telling himself so that he didn't become discouraged.

"So," Jacob sighed to himself as he tried his best to put himself into Roth's mindset. "if I was a crazy bastard trying to hide away a person, where would I put her?"

Glancing around, the male assassin had caught the slightest glimpse of human activity in the distance by chance. It was kind of far off for him to make out specifics but, it was promising judging from the distant movements he could make out. Like how they didn't carry lanterns, thus allowing the people to hide in the darkness. He hurried over that way, travelling through trees and then keeping himself hidden in some bushes so that, should he be seen, he could be passed off as a random animal.

Once he arrived, he found that a pristine carriage was park in front along with a few Blighters. This had to be where Samantha was, why else would they be here?

"It's safe sir." One of the brutes came over and opened the carriage door, revealing Roth to still be inside. Jacob hardly realized that he was clenching his fist, or noticed the rise in his anger. "She's still here and no one else."

Roth exited the carriage, looking as smug as ever. "Good, I'm sure she'll appreciate a visit."

Whatever patience Jacob had was being tested at the moment, resisting every urge to not go in there and kill all of his enemies was much more difficult than he would have imagine. He couldn't be rash though, no matter how much he want to kill every last bastard here. For Samantha's sake, he would wait until Roth and his men were gone before doing anything.

֎

Roth gleefully strolled into Samantha's room; the young girl was awake, although weak and ill. She looked far paler than she naturally should and there was a thin layer of sweat over her body. He had been giddy all day, eager to doom his rival in love with the poison his men had force fed her that morning. No doubt she didn't remember a thing, which was good in case the Assassins did manage to save her. He could at least put blame on the two imbeciles he hired, as they were her primary caretakers.

"I see you've gotten comfortable." Roth snickered as Samantha could hardly managed a sneer at him. "Now, now, I spent a lot of money on you as it is."

Samantha tried to speak, tried to defend herself; however, she could only manage these weird and strained sounds. She knew they did something to her, what they did to her was still a mystery.

"Don't bother trying to converse, the poison probably infected your vocal cords by now."

Samantha's eyes widened, she was poisoned?! Since when? The meal she ate with Nicholas and James went fine, they told her they wouldn't hurt her. No, they wouldn't have hurt her like this. A whine came out from the back of her throat along with a few unwanted tears.