Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I was nursing my bruised purple cheek the next day in school. No one bothered to ask what had happened, little did they care. Ian and I were outcasts at our school. Being gay was a sin at this Christian school, let alone being ‘out’ about it. No one talked to us unless they had to, and they certainly stayed well away. It didn’t bother me though; I didn’t much want to talk to people with that kind of attitude anyway. And even though the teachers were prejudice, I still managed to get reasonable grades, it just meant I had to study extra hard, because I didn’t receive any help at school. At least I had my parents, also Christian, who was very understanding and accepting. Even my father, which was the biggest shock.

You are who you are son, and I still love you,” he had said to me when I’d come out. Out of respect to them now I only touched Ian when we were alone and I never pushed them for him to come over if they said no. the bell went then, interrupting my usual thoughts of escaping this god feared place. I collected my things slowly, letting the rest of the class file out so I wouldn’t have to go near them. The teacher, Mr. Langley, was the only one remaining when I began towards the front. He was the youngest teacher here, arriving out of University only a few years ago. He was probably the best English teacher the school had, and seemed to tolerate Ian and myself a lot better than the others.

“Angus, wait a moment,” Mr. Langley mumbled as he stacked away some sheets for his next class. I stood still mid step and watched him warily. Had he been too influenced by the other teachers and was now against me? Carefully Mr. Langley stood and went to the door, closing it he then turned to face me with his hands clasped behind his back. My heart seemed to flutter a little as he approached me. He was wearing his usually long sleeved button up business shirt, the first five buttons undone. Today he wore a yellow one, lemon shade I think. And his black trousers were neatly pressed. I had to admit it, I liked older men, and Mr. Langley was HAWT! He ran one hand through his dusty golden brown hair, sweeping it from the back of his neck forward, the opposite direction I brushed mine.

“I hope you don’t think me naive when I say this Angus…” he began, moving closer still to me in a sort of hunky swagger that made my mouth go dry. How much older was he than me, five years maybe? That wasn’t too bad. “But it has come to my attention that you have been creating quite a disturbance amongst the other students.” I was shocked; did Mr. Langley not know I was gay after all? Did he not know this was a Christian school?

“Sir, the other students find me… different it seems,” I managed to mutter in a stronger voice than I was expecting. Mr. Langley nodded slowly, still advancing slowly; with one hand in his pants pocket, the other hanging loosely by his side. My stomach seemed to lurch into life with butterflies. He could only be less than half a meter from me now. I could smell his strong aftershave. I knew that if I didn’t escape now, at least from the smell, it was possible I’d attack him.

“There’s nothing wrong with being different,” Mr. Langley mused, he looked into my eyes then, they were honey brown and piercing. Mr. Langley slowly lifted his hand and touched the tips of his fingers to my bruised cheek while he bit his lip. I wanted to close my eyes and lean into his hand, and I used up all my strength to re-frame.

“You shouldn’t let them hurt you,” he whispered mostly to himself it seemed.

“That was an accident,” I lied, and he knew I was covering.

“All the same,” he played along, “Violence is never the answer.”

“Try telling them that,” I hissed, pulling away from him now. It wasn’t really anger; I just had to try something to put a bit more distance between us. But Mr. Langley moved closer as I moved further away until the back of my legs slammed into his desk and I put my hands out to grip the edge so I wouldn’t fall back. Mr. Langley advanced then, pressing his body to mine, his hands on the desk behind me. He pressed his lips to mine and a fuzzy buzzing erupted under my skin. He grabbed my waist and pulled me closer to him as I placed my own hands on his shoulders and pulled his head towards me. His tongue was hot and warm and tasted like peppermint. He pulled my glasses off and chucked them over his shoulder. I heard them thud onto the carpet. Mr. Langley’s hands slipped under my shirt and he ran his fingers up and down over my bare back, his fingers were a little cold and gave me Goosebumps. He felt different to Ian, manlier. It was a surreal feeling, but also something I’d wanted for a long time. He moved his mouth to my neck and I tilted my head back.

“If we get caught you’ll be fired,” I moaned softly.

“So?” Mr. Langley mumbled and for the first time I saw the youth in him. He acted so mature around the other kids that it was sometimes hard to believe he was so young. I saw it now though, the way he carelessly touched me and kissed me. If being gay was a sin, how come I was in heaven?