Chapter Fifteen

Middle Continued.

Chapter Fifteen.

I felt guilty. I was laying onDuncan's bed with him under the covers. I was laying on my back and he was on his side, turned away from me. I could feel the heat from his tanned skin. It was dark outside now and I could hear sirens.Duncan's house was smaller than mine and smelt like tobacco. He said his dad was never about and I didn't press questions. It had felt good sleeping with him, but my mind kept slipping away. I pictured my mother's face now after she'd found out the lifestyle I was really living. Her angry voice called me a slut. And I felt like one. I got up and walked across the room toDuncan's desk. It was covered in all kinds of things, but what I noticed first was an old picture in a frame of a woman with blonde hair and green eyes holding a little baby in her arms. She looked at it so lovingly I almost cried. I wondered if she wasDuncan's mother. My fingers brushed something across the back of the picture frame as I picked it up and I turned it over to see a note taped to the back. I pulled it off, feeling bad for prying but curiosity winning over it, and unfolded it.

'… and that was the worst. But Ian was okay today after-all. His mum didn't really mind him being gay, though how she didn't know after all this time I'll never understand. Ian is just so... Camp! Hahaha but anyway... I had this really weird experience today. I was sitting in the yard a lone all casual like, when Duncan walked into the quad. It was weird at first because he was alone. But then it was weird because he was wearing his school pants, a white tank top and his school jumped wrapped around his waist (the clothing wasn’t why it was weird though) it was weird because for the first time it wasn't hatred that hit me first, it was lust. He was actually really hot. Of course I had to rip my eyes away so I didn't give myself away. Imagine what damage he'd do if he ever found out? I probably shouldn't be writing it down even, but I doubt he'd ever get my journal.'

It was my handwriting, I recognised it right away. It was also the missing page from my journal. Duncan mumbled behind me, I heard him turn over but I didn't move.

“Why did you tape my page to the back of this photo?” I asked with wonder.

“Ugh...” Duncan groaned, “Because they were the two most precious things to me. I wanted to keep them together.” I didn't say anything. I wasn't really shocked either. The whole time Duncan and I had been having sex he had been telling me how he was sorry, that he loved me and he hoped I didn't hate him. And over and over I had told him it's okay, I know and I don't.

“C'mere,” Duncan mumbled. I put the page back on the frame and then placed the frame back down in it's spot. I went over to Duncan and sat down beside him, he put his arm around me and ran his fingers around in circles on my lower back. I pulled the blanket into my lap and folded my hands over it. Duncan kissed my knee and then closed his eyes.

CRASH!

We both jumped. Someone was in the house and was breaking things.

“Shit, you need to leave NOW!” Duncan ordered me harshly, ripping the covers back and climbing out of the bed to tug his pants on.

“What is it?” I asked him, not pausing to wait for an answer before I climbed out of the bed too and began to dress quickly. I moved to the door, still pulling my jumper down but Duncan grabbed me and turned me around.

“No, the window,” he hissed and shoved me into the closed glass. He yanked it open and half tipped me out. I fell onto the wet grass outside and pulled my shoes on. He was still leaning out it when his bedroom door was smashed open. I looked in his eyes and saw a fear I'd never thought I'd see on his face.

“WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING BOY?” a drunken old man bellowed.

“Run,” Duncan mouthed. I hesitated though. I'd never been one to run away from a fight, especially if someone I knew was involved.

“Dad,” Duncan tried to sound cheerful, “You're home early from the pub.”

“SHUT UP YOU LITTLE BRAT! WHO'S HERE WITH YOU?” the man cried. Pity washed over me. And suddenly I understood Duncan completely. He was a bully to regain the power he lost with his father. He confused his love for me with hate. His life was a mess; possible dead mother, drunkard father, fighting his sexual orientation. Suddenly all my problems seemed like specks of dust. There was a smack, a thud, and then hands gripped the window sill. A bald head came out of the window, it's face wrinkled and scared. The eyes were bloodshot and small.

“YOU!” it shouted at me. He was a monster, the alcohol had taken control and destroyed the human in this man. It wasn't the work of one drunken night, this thing was an alcoholic.

“Dad, no, leave him,” Duncan cried. The man disappeared for a moment, I heard another bone crunching crack, another thud, then silence. I got to my feet so I was level with the window and saw the body shaped booze man standing over Duncan's face down body. I looked around, spotted the rake by the hose and tape, grabbed it and climbed through the window.

“Get away from him,” I warned, holding the rake ready to strike. The monster cackled with it's head back.

“You think a little fag like you can scare me?” it laughed.

“You have no idea,” I growled, took a step forward and swung.