Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty.

I down the last of my milkshake in one go and put the cup down on the table in a dramatically final way. I licked my lips and wondered where I could start looking for Duncan. I imagined if he didn't want to be found he wouldn't be, but I had to try.

“Hey Angus,” a voice called behind me. I turned in my chair to see Duncan moving through the cafe crowd over to me. Well that was easy. Think of the devil and the devil will appear. This is a good thing if your devil has recently become good, fallen in love with you and slept with you.

“I was looking for you,” I said as Duncan took the seat opposite me. He smiled.

“Really? Look sorry I left the other day before you got up, but there was some things I had to do,” Duncan dropped his head and looked at his closed hands on the table.

“That's okay. How is your dad?” I asked.

“He's okay considering. Half his face is bruised, what happened? He didn't tell me anything about it. Mind you, I didn't stay long,” Duncan smiled briefly at me.

I laughed, “You know the rake outside your window? I whacked him with that a couple of times and then carried you out the window.”

“Whoa, you did that for me?” Duncan asked, touched. I blushed, guilty.

“Mostly,” I managed to choke out. We talked for a little more. I found out Duncan was living with his aunt on the other side of town, something he's been planning on doing for a while but never had the courage to do. He'd gone back to his house to get his things. Duncan was going to drop out of school and take up a photography course at case. He said that thanks to me, he finally had the bravery to do what he wanted to do with his life. I was glad I could help him out. After the cafe we walked for a long time, winding in and out of streets. Duncan was actually a really decent guy who'd just been taken in by the wrong crowd. We reached my house and I hugged Duncan goodbye, he hugged me the way Ian always did, with longing.

“Is the house empty?” Duncan asked me, grinning and touching my hand. I pulled my hand away.

“Duncan... I can't be with you,” I sighed, not looking at him.

“Why not?” he asked. Making the face Ian always made when I told him no. I couldn't handle this.

“I just can't okay,” I said stubbornly. Duncan's eyes began to swim with tears, though they never overflowed.

“I see, I was just a casually willing fuck right?” he growled.

“No, that's not it Duncan...” I tried to defend myself. I reached out to grab him but he turned and pulled away.

“Don't say anything,” he cringed.

“Don't be like-” *SMACK* my head whipped around to the side and I tasted blood as my bottom lip began to instantly swell. I wiped my chin and saw Duncan scowling, his chest rising and falling heavily, his hands clenched. Without another word he turned on his heel and ran off. There was an ache my body felt that didn't come from my head as I watched him dart around the street corner out of sight. I couldn't go home now, I desperately needed to walk and think. So I headed on my way to the park.

It was empty and I wasn't surprised because the sun was setting now and it was getting extremely dark, the streetlights were already on. I went over to the none baby swing and sat there unmoving with my head down. I was causing so much pain to the people I cared about. My parents worried about my education because I was stupid enough to fall for a stupid fucking teacher. Ian was hurting because I couldn't return his love, and so was Duncan. Andrew Langley... he wasn't exactly hurting, maybe he felt guilty? Fuck knows, fuck cares. I waited until it was completely dark for almost an hour and then rose to begin home.

“Hey fuck face,” someone shouted. I whirled to see Target and his gang charging across the lawn right for me with vengeance in their eyes. “Don't even bother speaking. I saw you and Duncan and now you're going to pay.” Oh shit, I couldn't out run all of them. I saw one of the guys towards the back swinging a bat. I took a step back when an idea reached me.

“Jealous were you Matthew,” I grimaced at Target. He hated being called by his first name, I assumed it reminded him of his mother. But my plan had worked, the comment had made Target stop which led to the others crashing into him.

“What? You want your mighty boss all to yourself and now your mad he's fallen for another boy?” I chuckled evilly.

“Don't try and convert your evil ways onto us,” one of the others barked.

“Evil? Me? I'm open about being gay. What about your two leaders huh? Duncan is now gay and happy. While Target here denies himself the ultimate pleasure of butt-sex,” I announced, opening my arms wide for emphasis. This whole time I'd been stepping backwards slowly and by this time I had created a fair distance between us. While they thought over my last comment I turned on my heels and pelted the ground running. I didn't stop until I was safely in my room with the door locked. That was close. Note to self: don't go walking around by yourself anymore, especially at night.