Chapter 7

Two updates in a day! Surely that deserves a vote? ;)

Okay you dont have to, but it'd be nice.....

So here we go.... :)

*************************************************************************

The first thing Connie noticed when he entered the carriage was that James looked displeased. Well, he had been looking that way since they had reached London, but Connie had hoped that James's mood would mellow, if only a bit, after meeting the young ladies of the ton. 

Connie knew James was displeased with the whole marry-within-a-month order his father had implemented on him, but he had also been sure that the ladies would love him. Afterall, he had the looks of a bloody pirate, and if the ladies didn't like that, then he didn't know what to say!

He was average looking compared to James, with blond hair and eyes of a pale blue. Their physique was well toned, spying was a lot of exercise! But James just went on and on about that damn scar on his face that was somehow ugly to him. Connie sighed. Maybe that Wynter girl James spoke so much about would just marry the sod. That'd shut him up for good.

Connie chuckled at that thought. James chose that moment to ask him sarcastically,"What has you in such a good mood today, pupppy?" Connie knew James called him that just to annoy him, and he always succeeded, but damned if he would let him this time.

He quickly replied, "I was just thinking how nice it would be if that Wynter chit would marry you. You seem to speak highly about her, and I've never heard you talk so much about any female before.", so saying he just shrugged and relaxed against the velvet squabs and peered at James from under his lashes.

Heat crept up James neck as he was reminded of Olivia when he had been studiously trying to forget about the Siren. "I did not talk so much about her. And after what I've done, she just might not speak to me again.", he said , and before Connie could interrupt him, he continued," Anyways the reason I sent for you was that I just got word from Nate. It just said to meet him at the Albany posthaste. So we are headed there now.  Should take about fifteen minutes more, with this speed."

Connie recognized the signs that James was not going to elaborate on the previous topic, so he decided to comment on the latter. Plenty of time later to badger him about Ms.Wynter."So, ol' Nate replied at last. And its so like him to be cryptic and just order us to come to him. I swear he treats us like dogs, damme if he doesn't! 'Come to the Albany posthaste' Ha! " he grumbled.

As intended, his tirade elicited a chuckle from James."Come on Connie boy, you know you don't hate him that much! Afterall , he was the one who recommended the three of us for the job, right?And look how that turned out!"

"Yes well, I guess I got a bit carried away.", said Connie, smiling sheepishly. James was glad to have him as a best friend, atleast he could count on someone.

************************************************************************

At the Albany a man who obviously recognized them led them to one of the upstairs rooms. Upon entering it, they saw their mentor standing with his back to them near three chairs placed near the fireplace, where a jolly flame danced.

As soon as the door shut behind, them James spoke."Why did you wait so long to contact us, Nate? I believe I mentioned in my note that the matter was of utmost importance.", he demanded of the man in front of them.

Nathaniel smiled as he turned around."Such impatience, James. I had matters to see to before I could speak to you both, pressing matters that could not be postponed. And I think I have an idea about what you want to tell me. The things that kept me busy these days are no doubt related to your information. But do tell me what you wanted to say, James.", the older man sighed lightly.

"There is a traitor in the Lords. One of our own 'titled' men is a scum.", James said with barely supressed anger. Besides him Connie nodded ."That assasin we followed in France, he told us that, laughing all the while as we killed him. But I'm thinking you know about this already, am I right Nate?" 

The older man nodded somberly,"Intel came to us just before your note arrived. That's what I was busy with since then. Congratulations boys, you got yourself a new one! We can't send any notes on this one, since we don't actually know his identity, but a list of people with considerable travel to France will arrive at your doorstep sometime this evening. You have to track him down and, well you know the rest."

The duo took the sudden knowledge in stride, though truth be told, they had been hoping the case would be assigned to them. Meeting concluded, Nate shook hands with both men and ushered them out.

Those two were one of a kind, he thought fondly, the job fit them like a glove. It'd be hard to replace James, though, when he got married. A wife always complicated things. And the odds were that she might be used in twisted schemes for revenge. He should know. Hadn't his Adele been taken from him in the same way? 

Shaking off the sadness threatening to overwhelm him, he lit a cigar. He wondered when James was going to tell him about the one month condition. Especially since two weeks were already up.

***********************************************************

Poor Nate! It must feel awful to lose someone that way! Connie's a good friend, no?

No Olivia this chapter, but she'll be there next time! :)

Small chap i know, but it just turned out that way. I didn't wanna add any Olivia here, so yeah...

Again, thanks for reading so far! :*

Vote and comment! 

~shreya07