Chapter 16 (Part 2)

Aaaaaaah! So many votes! Love you all! :*

This one's gonna be a fast update so no time for more chit-chat! :P

And m gonna do something bad now, so sorry from the start! :(

*************************************************************************

"Olivia? Did you hear what I said?"James voice snapped her out of her reverie.

There she went romanticizing her life again. Of course he wouldn't spit out all of his feelings yet! They weren't even married! But no, her mind had to go and show her things that were currently impossible. He did want to marry her, but even she knew that men married for desire and not love. There were exceptions to that as well, like men who married for a lady's dowry, or seldom, even for love.

But she would be fooling herself to think that theirs would turn out to be a love match. What with James being so secretive and hardly showing all his emotions, and she being an outspoken and stubborn person, it seemed to her to be a difficult proposition.

But she still wished to marry him. Despite all the odds. What was wrong with her mind and heart, she did not wish to examine too closely. Because she believed that what she would find there, could only cause her heartbreak. And it was a weakness. One she did not wish to leave open to the world, most especially James.

So she smiled at him politely, saying,"Yes my Lord, you said that you had the license made the day you came to apologize to me. But shan't we have a small ceremony after wards ? Or a feast for the townspeople perhaps? "

James looked at her, wondering what had brought the sad look to her eyes only moments before, which she had quickly replaced with an overbright smile that had almost blinded him with its intensity. Now she was asking him if they could hold a gathering! In his haste, he hadn't asked her if she would like to invite her parents tomorrow, even though they were to be wed by special license. In fact, he hadn't thought about her needs at all, and the realization made him feel like a cad.

But before he could ask her about it, she began chattering about how nice it would be to meet the tenants who likely wouldn't have had much excitement in their lives of late, and how much it would help to lift their spirits.

Seeing her so concerned about the tenants, made him realize yet again how lucky he was.He made a mental note to send a footman with a message inviting Olivia's parents and brother to Bentham Park. He did not deserve the beauty in front of him, who hadn't thought about herself even once even though she had just had a stressful day,which would have made a normal Lady take to her bed for at least two days, what with being abducted from her own doorstep. At this thought, he had to take a few deep breaths to clear the red haze that had appeared in front of his vision.

Townsend was still wet behind the ears, foolish notions clouding his brain. He had blanched when Olivia had left them alone together, apologizing profusely to James, insisting that he would never have pursued Olivia if he had any knowledge of James's intentions. James had let him go with a warning to never abduct a Lady without her consent in the matter, which was laughable in itself, but the Viscount had been to terrified to take notice.

"My dear, that is a splendid idea! I shall organize a get together for the afternoon. All our tenants will be invited. " ,he said, giving her a comforting smile.

"I appreciate you considering my suggestion, my Lord."Olivia was relieved. He would be a just husband if not a loving one.

"Meanwhile, I have a surprise for you in the adjoining room. You may tell me if you need anything else. Our marriage shall take place in the morning at ten o'clock. Is that alright?", James said, thinking of the 'surprise' he had for her.

He felt uncomfortably like he was approaching their marriage as if it was a business investment, but was at a loss at how to express himself. Remarkably, she was the one person who had the power to befuddle him like no other. His tongue tied itself into knots around her, but he'd be damned if he'd let anyone know his weakness was his wife!

Her next words threw him completely off track. Befuddle him, indeed!

"Well, a Lady likes to be proposed to", she said, though his expression made her regret her words almost immediately. But the flustered expression on his face (which she knew he would object to if she told him) disappeared as quickly as it had come. And his next actions made her think, there might be hope after all.

James saw the regret on her face at his shocked expression (it was NOT embarrassment!) and was instantly contrite. Why did he keep making these blunders when it came to her, his Siren? And as for her earlier request............

James dropped down onto one knee, reaching into his pocket to retrieve the ring he had had made for his wife-to-be, and said, "Olivia Mabel Wynter, will you do me the great honour of becoming my wife?"

Olivia looked into the eyes that had intrigued her since she had seen them for the first time, and seeing the sincerity, and what she fancied to be love in them, uttered a simple, "Yes", before placing her hand in his outstretched one as he slipped the plain gold band on her finger.

Standing up, James gave her a chaste kiss on her cheek, at which she blushed and remembering something reached for the chain on her neck. Unfastening the clasp, she slid an identical gold band off the chain.

Smiling at the stupefied look on James face, she herself picked up his hand and mimicked his earlier actions, blushing slightly at her own forwardness.

James was overwhelmed at her gesture. Looking at the ring in wonder, he wondered how much more she would surprise him in the years to come. One thing was for certain, he would never tire of the mystery that was Olivia Wynter.

******************************************************************************

Hey hey hey! :)

Like it??

V & C!

Lots of love! <3

~shreya07