Chapter 24

Hi again! An early update, huh?

Lets get to reading it then! ;) 

You can thank me later! :D

**************************************************************************************************************

Olivia watched as James entered the parlor where she and Conrad were waiting for him. It was tea time and she had asked both men to be present as she was bored with her own company and wished to enjoy a good cup of tea with two people she could trust….one of whom was her husband.

After their picnic, she had wandered off to the library in search of a good book and had spent her time reading till lunch time. After tea, perhaps she would go back to her book of poetry. It seemed very promising, though the author was anonymous. It was something that intrigued her, but then again, what could she do to trace the poet?

Banishing her thoughts for sometime, she smiled at her husband as he gave her a customary kiss on her hand, before going to sit on the couch opposite her, with Connie.

“What took you so long, Jamie boy? Must you make me wait for my daily dose of tea, then?” Conrad said, with a smirk on his face.

“I just had a few papers to attend to, is all. ‘Dose’ of tea, eh? I can assure you, my wife brews an excellent cup of tea, one that will most certainly leave you begging for more.”, James replied, stunning his friend into silence and making his wife blush at the compliment.

She stuttered slightly, ”That is enough, my Lord. Ignore all of that please, Conrad. How would you like your tea?”

James watched as she poured for Connie, handing him the cup and saucer, before automatically pouring his tea the way he liked it. As she held up his cup in front of him, he slowly slid his hand along hers before grasping the saucer and looking into her eyes. The awareness that passed between them was brief but palpable. It would have lasted longer, but for an exclamation from Connie.

“Ah, such flavour! Such a rich taste! Madam, I believe you have taught me to love our national beverage!” Picking up Olivia’s hand, he brought it to his lips across the tea-table, causing her to lurch slightly forward and James to bristle angrily.

“I believe it would be better for your well-being, puppy, if you let go of my wife’s hand this instant.” James ground out through his teeth.

Taking a look at James face, Connie let go of Olivia’s hand, staring thoughtfully at his friend’s face for a moment, before smiling to himself and picking up his cup. Olivia thanked him softly and poured herself a cup of tea, sipping it quietly.

Conrad left them after a few minutes, and Olivia stood up, intending to excuse herself to go complete the book of anonymous poetry, but James’s voice stopped her.

“It’s ‘Conrad’ now, is it?” he said, sneering the word slightly.

“I do not know what you mean, James”, she said, though she was starting to think she did know.

“Oh please ignore me, I’m just your husband. Why give me any importance at all?”

“Would you please stop acting like a child? I don’t even understand what I’ve done wrong when you get angry with me! I never try to do anything to anger you, but you always seem to be on the brink of losing patience with me!” she shouted.

“Olivia, just leave. We shall talk later. For now, just leave.”

Humiliated beyond belief, Olivia turned around with a sob, walking out of the room as fast as her feet would take her. Going to the library, she picked up her book from where she had left it before. Then she rushed to the staircase, climbing it furiously, almost tripping in her rush to reach her room. How could he be so unbelievably rude? Had he no concern for her feelings? Getting jealous like this was not good for anybody, especially since there was no reason to feel so! She never could dream of being unfaithful to her Pirate! But why couldn’t he understand that?

With these thoughts tumbling in her head, she entered her chamber quickly. But before she could close the doors, someone or something hit her on the head with a great force. Clutching her head, she watched helplessly as the ground rushed up to meet her face.

********************************************************************************

The Countess really was heavy. But that could probably be attributed to her gown’s fabric. In any case, he had almost reached his destination. Pushing open the door in front of him, he laid the bound and gagged body in his arms on the floor roughly.

It had been a bit of clever thinking on his part, bringing her here. It would teach that arrogant Earl a lesson he’d never forget. Plus it added to the excitement of the hunt for him, he thought, and if anyone could have seen the evil look on his face, they would probably shudder in fear at the hint of madness that glinted in his eyes.

Oh, but he must leave soon. No use dawdling here, his work was done. It had been too easy to knock out the chit. After all, no one expected a criminal to come inside their house, let alone enter their bedchamber!

Resisting the urge to laugh at the foolishness of people’s thoughts, he extracted the piece of paper from his coat pocket, removing one of the pins from her hair, to fasten it on her gown. Turning up the collar of his greatcoat, he left the way he had come, whistling slightly.

It was a beautiful day after all.

***************************************************************************************  

 James looked up from the papers that Olivia had given him to the clock that declared it had been two hours since she had left the parlour. He really should go and apologize. She might have calmed down like he had, and would not make him grovel too much, though God knew he should, since he could not help but behave like a complete idiot when she so much as looked at another man with a smile. It was ridiculous, he knew, but he’d be damned if he knew how to control it.

****************************************

So guys i'll update the rest later! sorry it's so incomplete, but i wanted to give You'll something to read! :) 

Comment what you think will happen next! (An earnest request!!! ;) )