Chapter 13

College started yesterday! Lots of new and interesting subjects!

Anyways, this means the updates won't be too frequent. :( Sorry!

But I will try my best! ;)

This one's for werewolfmoon !

Hope you guys like it....

**********************************************************************************

Olivia was confused.

Last night when she had sat down to read Willie's notes, she had expected the person she was reading about to have a gambling problem, or maybe to frequent establishments that catered to a man's baser needs by supplying women.

But what she had found instead had puzzled her a great deal. Oh, there had been the gambling, but the notes also mentioned several trips to Brighton and even France!

The notes said the ducal seat of Radnor was in Brighton, so that wasn't much of a surprise, except that the trips were very frequent. But why would Radnor visit France? And apparently twelve times in the past year!

With him attending almost all the noteworthy balls........ No. He hadn't attended all the balls! She had just assumed that he did, what with him appearing whenever she didn't want him to.

But how could she verify whether his not attending balls was on the days he had been travelling? Her mother would have a fit as it is, if she saw what her daughter was reading in her room, papers she had obtained from a Runner, of all people!

Olivia chuckled at that thought. Her dear mother might cart her off to the country and keep her locked in her room, with only bread and water to sustain her!

She'd have to think about how to get the information she wanted. Perhaps bribe a servant in each of the houses that had given a soiree to give her a list of the guests who had attended? Would they even keep a list of people? It could be very difficult, and there was a large margin for error, she thought, slumping in her chair. What could she do?

A knock on her door snapped her out of her reverie.

"Yes?", she said, eager to be rid of the person who had disturbed her thinking.

But it was Briarly who entered her room, just like he had done a few days before, with a tray in his hand.

"A caller for you, Miss Olivia.", he said, with just a slight grimace, which Olivia failed to notice, as, at the word 'caller', her mind had immediately thought of James.

Had he come to call on her? The thought served to boost her spirits a great deal. Why that happened, she Refused to acknowledge. But her face fell at the sight of the name embossed on the card.

Viscount Townsend. If she hadn't known that Davy was as harmless as a puppy, she wouldn't have recieved him. But since he was indeed harmless, she sighed and told Briarly to put him in the Blue salon. Maybe the colour would keep her calm.

******************************************************************

As she entered the room a few minutes later, she noticed Davy standing up from the settee he had been sitting in.

"Good morning, my lord. How are you?", she said politely, going and sitting on an armchair across the table from him.

"Splendid Lady Olivia, simply splendid now that I have seen you.", he replied, causing Olivia to bite her tongue before she asked him if he was well, again. She would prefer he say that when he was delirious, and not healthy.

She had tried to think of him as a husband, she truly had. But he was too soft spoken and timid for her. She would like to stay friends with him, but he kept making sweet quotes for her and she felt pained that she did not think of him the way he so obviously thought about her.