Chapter 17

Aloha ppl! :D

How r u guys!

So my frnd Persephone commented ( a rather large comment actually :P) and she mentioned a bit of doubts that she had. So one was that is the one month condition in Jamie's father's will. Its not in the will per se, but in a letter sent with the will. And the English, uppity ppl that they were, found it prudent to name their salons(rooms) with the colour of the upholstery and the walls, so as to remember them easily (they had a Lot of rooms sometimes), and sometimes the names did not even match the actual colour (which is weird, but whatever) So that's what the Gold salon means. And about Nate choosing our trio, he being a high official in the W.O. was constantly on the lookout for new recruits. He observed men of the ton in terms of their physical prowess (which could be ascertained by whether they frequented the boxing ring, hunting, horsemanship, fencing, etc.), and also their situation at home, intelligence, and even if they had any vices like gambling. On the basis of this, he would decide on candidates and approach them. And there are other peers in the Office too! So he would get a bit of feedback about the personas of his candidates from them as well.

Hope this answers your questions! :) Keep asking me stuff guys, it keeps me on my toes!

Sorry for the BIG A/N :P! Now for the part u have all been waiting for!

This one's for LEMONS3000 ... for the huuuuuge comment! :)

TPL chapter 17!!!

******************************************************************************

Olivia stared at her reflection in the mirror and wondered how her life had changed since yesterday. She was now a countess. The Countess of Winchester, James wife! The woman in the mirror was not so different than what she was used to seeing everyday. But nonetheless, everything had changed.

Last night, when she had entered her room on James insistence, she had been pleasantly surprised to see the entire array of gowns in every colour imaginable that filled her wardrobe to bursting. The sizes were perfect, leading her to wonder how he had the dresses made with such haste, that fit her to perfection.

Out of all the gowns however, one had caught her eye in particular. It was a pure light grey in colour, and matched James eyes perfectly. She went over to it, fingering the material that looked so fragile as to crumble at the lightest touch of her fingers. It shimmered like the wings of an angel. She would wear it tomorrow morning, she decided. It was perfect.

"Personally I like this one."James voice, husky with an emotion she could not place, made her turn towards him. He stood a few feet away, and looking at the gown in his hands, she felt the tenderness for him grow.

It was the exact shade of her own eyes, even the bodice had embroidery in gold that resembled the golden flecks in them. The green silk skirt looked like it was made from tiny emeralds, flashing with fire.

"It is beautiful, James. But I shall always love this one better.", she said, clutching the grey gown to her breast like it might vanish if she let go.

"We must agree to disagree then, dearest. But both gowns will complement you nicely, I think.", James replied, smiling now.

They had retired then, after having a light dinner, and Olivia had lain awake till midnight, wondering what the next day would bring.

She remembered how her parents and Oliver had surprised her that morning, appearing at Bentham Park for the ceremony. When she had asked them they had said that it was James who had sent a messenger the previous evening inviting them to their wedding, such as it was.

When she had stolen a glance at her fiancé, she had caught him looking at her with a hooded expression, which she had returned with a grateful smile. Because after seeing her family again, she had realized just how much she needed them with her at this moment. And how much she would miss them later.

The ceremony had been small, and after signing the papers and saying their vows, and her mother crying when James slipped the ring on her finger and placed a chaste kiss on her forehead, they had had a sumptuous breakfast.

Her father had gone with James to the study then, to discuss the terms of her dowry, no doubt. One more thing she despised about Society. But her father would not budge on that point, even though he had been tolerant of most of her opinions. 'Matter of honour', he had said, and ended the subject.

"Olivia, are you happy with this?", Oliver, who had been silent for the most part of the morning now spoke up. She understood his unspoken words 'with this marriage'.

"Far too late to be asking me this, now isn't it brother?"

"Olivia, I swear if you make a joke of this...."

"What could you possibly do Olly?"

His face turned red at the hated nickname. But before he could reply, their mother stepped in.

"Olivia dear, do not tease your brother. I know that this union has your father's blessing, but it would ease our minds a great deal if you were to say it with your own mouth." Her mother's words wiped the smile of her face, and it was a serious faced Olivia that replied.

"Yes, mother, Oliver, I am happy. The Earl is all I could want in a husband and we shall manage nicely."Why her words sounded dry and emotionless to her own ears, she would not think about. But her mother and brother seemed not to notice, as they both smiled at her and resumed their conversation.

After breakfast however, Oliver went to take a stroll of the gardens and stables adjoining the house. As her father and James had yet to emerge from the study, that left Olivia and her mother alone, and her mother expressed her wish to speak privately with Olivia, who led the way to her room.

"My what a beautiful room!", the duchess exclaimed, eyeing the pale pink walls and large bed appreciatively. The previous occupant had had the room furnished exquisitely, the furniture of the highest quality, the carpet soft and plush, and the watercolour that hung opposite the bed was a calming scene depicting wildflowers that looked as if their scent might reach you any moment.

"It really is. What is it you wanted to speak to me about, mama?"

"Well I-that is to say I- You do remember the talk we had after your first season, don't you dear?"Her mother looked at her questioningly, a slight blush staining her pale complexion. Sudden realization dawned in Olivia's mind as she recalled the time when her mother had told her about what happened between a man and his wife. Blinking a little at her mother's awkwardness she reassured her.

"Yes I do remember, mama. You do not need to repeat that conversation!"Because if she had to endure that once again, she might just die of embarrassment!

"That's done then.", her mother sighed with relief, "But you shall take care wont you Livvy? Men are such fickle creatures sometimes, you see. They want us to be soft and strong at the same time, which makes it difficult to live with them sometimes. But now he is your protection and whatever right or wrong you do reflects on him. So you should not give the Earl undue grief because of your antics, do you understand? In time you shall grow comfortable in each others company, and disagreements shall be few and far in between. But till then you must tread carefully where his feelings and ego are concerned. Just until the tenuous thread by which your marriage hangs, strengthens, you must be strong. Be happy, my dear girl."

By the time her mother said those last words, both of them had their eyes brimming over. Olivia went to her mother and rested her head on her lap, her mother stroking her hair. They stayed like that for some more time before a servant requested them to come downstairs, as the Duke's carriage had been prepared to leave for London.

Downstairs, Oliver had give her a bone-crushing hug and whispered in her ear, "If you ever need me to beat up His Lordship, I shall be happy to oblige.", making her want to cry.

Her father was more subtle in his emotions, kissing her cheek and saying, "Goodbye, my Olive."

She smiled at the nickname he had called her since she was little, and, teary-eyed, looked at her mother, who wiped her daughter's eyes. "Now, now, no more of that, Livvy. You shall visit us in a month or so, shan't you? I wish you all the happiness in the world, both of you."

Surprising James, she went and kissed his cheek. "Take care of my daughter, my Lord. You shall require some patience, but I am sure if anyone can manage it, you can." She said to him, and at Olivia's outraged, "Mama!", she accepted her husband's hand laughing at Olivia's face, and went down the steps and into the carriage, followed by both the men, and soon the carriage was out of sight.

She had then gone up to her room to change into the green dress that James had held up yesterday. The picnic lunch James had organized was to be held in the vast expanse of the Bentham Park grounds, and all the villagers and tenants were to attend.

Now she stood in front of the mirror in the green gown, as she wondered what her life had in store for her next. Perhaps at the luncheon, she would have some fun. But she must hurry downstairs for that, James would appreciate her being punctual.

So she did.

*********************************************************************************

Vote and comment ppl! :D

Hope you guys are enjoying so far! :)

Cheers!

~shreya07