Chapter 16 (Part 1)

Hi guys! :)

I'm a bit overwhelmed at the response I'm getting for this story.... Yesterday I saw 3000 reads and I was literally screaming!

You guys make me so happy! I'll try my best to repay the favor! :P

This one is for Sue0123 , Rainbow_Bubbles, Pretiza, iluvLADYGAGA, blahblah000, divah3125, 15Auroraborealis, tuba93 and ausagej ! Thanku for the Votes and Comments! :*

New chapter!!!!!! Woohoo!

**********************************************************************

For the second time that day, Olivia woke up in unfamiliar surroundings. But this time she was not as disoriented as she had been before.

Olivia had a faint recollection of being carried from the carriage by James as they reached his country home, him dismissing the servants till the next day when introductions would be made. She had been carried up the stairs to this room, The Master Suite if the décor was any indication, she thought.

Almost everything in the room was burgundy, be it the drapes or the carpet. The previous Earl must have slept alone, she mused, for there was not even a slight touch of feminity. This made her realize that she did not know anything about James's mother. She must ask him sometime.

By the colour of the sky visible because of the drawn drapes, she believed it was almost nighttime. The shock of the day had helped her to sleep like a babe. She did not like being weak, and a fit of the vapors was definitely a weakness.

Suddenly she was aware of someone else in the room. Turning, she saw James sitting in a chair pulled up to her bedside. His gaze was hooded as he watched her quietly. All at once she felt self conscious. What was one supposed to say in such situations, when your husband-to-be sat at your bedside after saving you from a disastrous scandal?

"How are you feeling Olivia?", James asked, after contemplating her sleepily rumpled form for far longer than necessary. This need, this longing, for her was ridiculous! He had to get himself under control! It would not do for him to let his guard down. Not till the traitor was found.

Holding a limp Olivia in his arms had reminded him of the need to keep her safe. The thought of her used for revenge against him made him feel cold throughout his body. She had slept for three hours, her breathing deep and even. She even slept seductively, he thought. Or maybe it was just him.

"I- I am feeling well, my L-Lord."What was wrong with her? Stop behaving like a simple-minded ninny and show some courage Olivia, she reprimanded herself. He was just a man!

An absolutely ravishing specimen of one, a tiny voice in her head reminded her slyly, causing her to slap her hands to her cheeks to contain the blush that blossomed on her face at her own thoughts.

James looked at her trying to hide her flaming cheeks, and his voice turned teasing as he asked, "A touch of fever, then, m'dear? Perhaps we should summon the physician?"

She turned a murderous glare on him as she said, "You know very well there is no fever James! As you should, what with you kissing my brow every few minutes to ascertain that there was none!"

James felt heat creep up his neck as he was reminded of his behavior. But he had thought she wouldn't notice since she was sleeping. His joke had backfired miserably.

"Well?", asked Olivia, her confidence returning at the sight of his embarrassed face. But she had to admit that it did not make him any less breathtaking. If anything, he looked even more handsome!

Unbidden a thought entered her head.

They were not married yet! And she was in his bed!

"Olivia, it is alright. Tomorrow we shall get married by special license and you shall be my wife in every sense. Sleeping in my bed does not defy propriety. Well at least not too much. Stop agitating yourself over something of no consequence."

As the calm tone of James voice reached her ears, she closed her eyes, mortified that she had spoken those thoughts aloud. But something he had said registered in her mind.

"How did you acquire a special license at such short notice?", she asked, curious to know the answer.

"I, well- I had it made the day I had come to apologize to you.", James said in a rush.

Her eyes softened as she looked at him.

"I realized that I wanted to marry you that day. So I got it made as soon as possible. I had been carrying it around with me since. Which is why I had felt..... afraid that I would lose you, when I realized Townsend had abducted you. I wanted to wring his neck for taking you away. I-", James stopped as he felt her hand stroke his cheek.

Looking up and noticing her warm green gaze, he pulled her onto his lap, wrapping his hands around her waist.

"Shh....", she said, settling her head comfortably on his shoulder as he continued to hold her like she would vanish if he let go. "I'm here."

******************************************************************************

Part 1 of chapter 16!

This is so damn cute! :)

I really really loved how it turned out! What about you? ;)

V & C ! Love you all! <3

Till next time! :*

~shreya07