Chapter 12

Hello guys!

I wanted to tell you that I had been thinking of editing chap 1 for a long time, since i thought it was pretty bland. so i've done that, and u guys can go check it out! :)

One more update!!!! And for those of you who don't remember John, he is the solicitor, Mr.White!

This one's for SummerSkye86 for all those votes, they really made my day! :)

TPL Chapter 12!! :D

*****************************************************************

James sat in his study, poring over the estate papers that John had sent over. The estates were in perfect order, just as he had suspected. His father had always been proud of the title and everything that came with it.

Though he would have to visit their ancestral home in Shropshire soon. Maybe after he married.

Since the two weeks James had been living there, he hadn't changed much in the study. It was still arranged the way it had been when his father was alive. He had never hated his father before he had left on the ship, though his father had never been even remotely warm towards him.

The Earl had constantly harangued him about living up to the title, to stand a little straighter, speak a little clearer. He had always hired the strictest tutors for James, monitored his every move.

That had changed once he went to Eton and met Conrad and George. They had helped him live happily and not constantly worry what his father would think.

Slowly James fear and trepadition had reduced.

But then he had joined the War Office.

James hadn't told his father that he was a spy, for obvious reasons. But when he and Connie had been assigned to go abroad on their missions, his father had refused to let him become a 'worthless pirate', as he thought of privateers.(As that was the rumour spread about their departure)

They had argued endlessly, before James had finally given in and told his father about being a spy. At this his father had grown even more enraged, shouting that James had forgotten his duty to the title. Everything that he had taught him had gone to waste in his eyes. James was a selfish child who didn't even repay him for all the sacrifices he had made on his behalf!

At that moment James control had snapped."Do you even know how I've been living all these years? Yes, you have paid for my every need, but have you ever shown me any love? Have you ever been a parent to me?I have always strived for your approval! But no! For you it has always been about the title! Always! So if you think I am being selfish, then you can think anything you like! But I am not going to throw away something that makes me happy and gives me a sense of self-worth!", he had shouted, pushed to the limit by his father's attitude.

"Do not show me your face after this. You may leave now, but don't you dare come back until word is sent of my death. You will then come back and take up the responsibility of the title. Am I understood?", his father said coldly, and even though James had convinced himself that his father wouldn't affect him, his heart broke clean in two at his father's words.

But he steeled his voice as he answered, "Clearly."

That was the last time they had spoken to each other. James had left for France the next day, and had returned, as per his father's wishes, only after he received word of his death.

But the worst thing for James was that he felt no remorse that their parting words had been bitter. His anger at his father persisted even now, intensified by the fact that his father had left him no choice but to marry within a month.

James had no aversion to marriage. But the problem that stood before him was that having a wife made him responsible for her safety. And that would definitely be considered a weak link by any of his enemies.

And James wouldn't be able to live with the guilt if he was responsible for causing harm to a woman, especially his wife.

Which is why he had been tormented over his decision to marry Olivia. He was attracted to her no doubt, but if marrying him meant putting her in danger, he woud rather leave her alone.

But an entirely selfish part of him wanted to cart her off to Gretna Green and marry her right now. But now he had the new job to think about......

Putting the papers in his drawer and locking it, James decide to speak to Connie about the traitor.

**************************************************************

They had decided to meet in Hyde Park, in a familiar spot where they had always met before.

Connie was waiting for James when he arrived.

"Anything?", James asked as soon as he sat down next to Connie.

"Found out the name of this Runner - apparently he's been useful to the office on many cases. Information enough to fill a library, Nate said. Thought you could go check it out while I work with Georgie at the desks."He chuckled, "God knows I have little patience for desk work, but you have even less patience compared to me."

James smacked him on the back."But I am better at field work than you, puppy."

Conrad scowled."I think I am going to let you do the desk work, after all...", he grumbled.

James laughed, saying,"Now, now, don't get prissy! In any case, thanks for that. I'd rather chop off my hand than do desk work. Now give me the name already!"

Connie handed him a paper , which James slipped into his greatcoat pocket.

"Well then, I'll see you at Gilbright's affair later. And you can't say no, since Ms. Wynter is going to be there.", Connie said slyly, expertly dodging the punch James aimed at him by getting off the bench and waving smartly over his shoulder.

One day, thought James , he would get back at Connie for all of his taunting.

But now, he had a Runner to find.

******************************************************

Lots of James here!

Now you know about his father! :( Why do you think he hates his son?

Who do you like more James or Olivia?

Now you know I am gonna write tiny chapters.. :P

Vote and comment! :)

Cya sometime later this week!

~shreya07