Change of Plans

Well isn't this odd. I'm updating after like one day. LOL DON'T EXPECT IT TO ALWAYS BE LIKE THIS. Anyway, enjoy.

•••

The cold winds of December whipped against Riley's cheeks as she stood on the doorsteps of Lucas' home. Her fist now pounding against the white wooden door for the fifth time due to the doorbell not working.

The history and biology books that were wrapped in Riley's arm began to feel as if they were doubling in weight. She let out a huff and watched the visible clouds of her breath ascend into the sky.

Just as she raised her hand in a fist to pound on the door once more, a voice had shouted from the other side.

"I'm coming! I'm coming!"

After a few seconds, the brass door handle turned. The door finally opened, and the warmth of the indoors hit Riley's face.

"I'm- so- sorry." Lucas spoke out of breath. His cheeks were flushed and his hair was disheveled. "You must've been standing out here for so long. I'm really sorry." He grabbed Riley's arms and pulled her inside, quickly shutting the door behind them to keep the cold air from seeping in.

This has only been the third time Riley had visited his home. The first was just because both Maya and Riley had other guests visiting their homes and Farkle continued to not want them to go to his. The other visit was a quick drop off of a pair of Lucas' boots since he had ran out of shoes due to her Father always taking a shoe when he kicked him out of her room. Today, Riley and Lucas were the only two left in town not traveling on Christmas break. But, both Cory and their Biology teacher had felt it was necessary for their students to take a semester test the day they got back.

Riley eyed Lucas' appearance and looked at him from head to toe. "What happened to you?" She finally asked as she placed her books down on the couch.

"Let's just say we're going to have to add someone, who is a handful, to our study session."

Riley raised her eyebrows at the comment before folding her arms across her chest. "I thought it was just going to be us two?"

"Well," Lucas said with a shrug before turning on his heels and walking to the kitchen. He grabbed two red mugs that sat on the counter with thick steam escaping from the top. With the two cups in his hand, he made his way back to Riley and held out one of the cups before her. "I honestly had no choice. My Mother would've killed me if I said no."

Hesitantly, Riley took the cup and peered inside. It was a steaming cup of hot chocolate with three mini marshmallows floating on top. It was exactly the way she liked it. "Why would your Mother have killed you?"

Lucas opened his mouth to respond, but was cut off by the sound of feet tapping along on the wooden floor in the hallway behind them. The two turned their heads and were greeted with a smile from a little girl. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a braid and her bright green eyes widened in amazement when they made contact with Riley.

Lucas smiled down at the girl before turning his attention back to Riley. "Turns out my Mom thought it was necessary to go grocery shopping the night of our study date. She decided that this time she would leave behind my little sister instead of taking her. You're not gonna be jealous of having a six year old take up at least some of my attention, right?" The now larger, and yet cocky smile that rested on his face would've caused Riley to grow weak at the knees. But she was already too preoccupied with the news she had just received about Lucas actually having a sibling.