Important People

"Do you even remember what movie we were seeing?" Riley asked with an airy laugh, her fingers messily fiddling together upon the surface of her lap as she attentively watched the boy sitting beside her on the bay window. Their legs every so gently brushing up against one anothers with the slightest ounce of movement.

"I don't even remember the plot of the movie." Lucas chuckled, now understanding Zay's slight irascible remark from that morning. Instead of enjoying the movie that they willingly paid for, the couple spent those sacred amount of hours focused on each other, lost in their own little world where it's just them and no one else. Even if Zay and their friends were sitting right next to them, their attention was solely planted on one another.

The faint memories of their friends whispering choleric remarks throughout the movie about the pair staring at each other once again came into the minds of the couple. As annoyed as everyone could be with Riley and Lucas for wanting to get lost in the others eyes, no ounce of regret fled them.

Riley's cheeks began to tickle in pain from the constant grinning she had been sharing with Lucas the whole day. As she forced the corner of her lips down to hopefully seize the discomfort, her eyes fluttered around the room at the mess her and Lucas had left from earlier. Their feet were placed in the midst of a messy pile of clothes that sprawled themselves out along the floors and furniture of Riley's bedroom. Some old abandoned toys stuck out in the oddest of places, such as a purple cat somehow peeping its head out of a bin full of Lucas' boots. Her closet was on the verge of being bare as hangars and dresses spilled out from the inside, looking like a waterfall of fabric had been created. The only thing that had been untouched in the room were the pile of books she had placed on her dresser and other decorative tables, along with some picture frames holding photos of her friends and family.

The result of the clutter had been from a mishap where Riley's childhood teddy bear had gone missing, and everyone that was in the house at the time had all pitched in to search for it.

The thought had truly hit her in that moment as she sat in the spot where she always placed the bear. It was impossible to miss the piece of her childhood separating itself from her, forcing her to grow up as she sat in a spot that held a piece of her childhood. She longed to hold the bear in her arms and give it a squeeze to feel protected and to hear the squeaking sound it always made, but she couldn't do that anymore. It was official, Riley's childhood toy was gone.

The saddened smile sweeping across her lips caught Lucas' attention, allowing him to follow her shifting gaze that locked on the area before them. Just as Riley's had done before, Lucas' grin shifted downward, remembering the tone of Riley's voice when she had asked Farkle if anyone had found the bear while her and Lucas had gone out to get Taco's for Maya. Farkle's negative response had caused her shoulders to slump forward ever so slightly in disappointment, something that could so easily be missed by anyone just walking past her. Even if her face hadn't truly shown how heartbroken she was, her body language sure had.

All Lucas had wanted to do was find that bear for her, and he couldn't help but feel as if he had just let her down. He knew Riley came to accept the fate of the bear, but he couldn't imagine losing a gift as gold as that.

"I'm really sorry about your bear.." Lucas mumbled, tearing his gaze away from the unkempt floor and landing them back on Riley to only see that her lips were turning back up again in the softest of grins, and that she was already turning to look back at him.

"It's alright, Lucas." She spoke in a soft tone. With the sun shining through the white-paned window behind Lucas, Riley's fawn eyes glistened with acceptance. Her smile becoming contagious the more it grew. It practically took his breath away to see her grow up even more right before his eyes.