Say Hello

[A CONTINUATION OF 'SAY GOODBYE']

LUCAS

The subway wasn't as familiar as it used to be. Only a few people sat in the seats, all scattered throughout the car. A cold chill nipping on all bare hands as the subway continuously drove forward. Eyes remained facing straight, being sure to not lock on anything else. An unfulfilling silence hung in the balance.

It was December, the month of festivities and joy.

It was December 24th, 2025

I could easily picture the trees lining the sidewalks with beautiful twinkling lights hanging from their limbs. People bustling in the streets with bags and bags of presents for their friends and family. Christmas Carols would be hummed all day long; the only month that this was ever allowed.

But it seems after all these years, the thought of New York has changed. Or perhaps it was my perspective of the area that had shifted.

The whole purpose of moving to New York back in Middle School was to help my family and I start a new life. It did exactly that. Until, it seemed that fate had decided to make me fall for a girl that could accidentally cause it to tumble down in an instant.

My hand began to shake against the cold metal pole that I clung to with a firm grip; the knuckles of my fingers becoming so white they could represent the spine of a fish. Realization struck me almost instantly the moment a deep voice boomed into the crackling speaker, announcing the departure at Greenwich Village, New York.

It had been 7 years since my last time here.

My eyelids pressed together tightly as dreadful flashbacks pinched my temples. Everything then had ended so quickly, without even giving me a moment to breathe. The moment it had felt like I had gotten a full gust of air; the moment everything had really hit me, was the day I was standing in line, waiting to board the plane that would take me back to Austin, Texas.

The only vivid memory I hold of that airport, only plays in different shades of brown and gold. Every color between that was held within the last pair of eyes I had looked at before I turned my back on New York.

Her eyes were a pair I would never forget.

But soon after, I knew she would learn to forget mine.

And forget them, she did.

Contact between us had dropped the moment I began my life in Texas again.

Memories grew fuzzy.

Friends grew distant.

Hearts grew weaker.

All because, I had no choice but to leave.

After our forced break up, a dreadful coincidence happened. My Father had to be transferred back to Texas for his job.

I tried to stay. I tried to convince Zay to let me stay with him, but his parents or mine wouldn't go for it.

I tried to stay with Farkle. Same thing happened once again.