Web of Lies

Little shout out to my friend Lucas, the only person in my life that's as big of a fan of gravity falls as I am. And the only one who knows how big of a fan of gravity falls I actually am.

We arrived at the shack after a fair bit of walking. Almost no words were exchanged between us, but I could tell Ford was itching to ask me questions. It's actually kind of funny. In the future, when I first met him, I wanted to bombard him with questions. I guess now that I'm in the past, the roles have been flipped. Every once in a while Ford would look behind his shoulder, no doubt to see if I was still following him. And everytime he saw that I was still there, he smiled.
We were on the porch now, and Ford was digging in his lab coat for the keys to his house.
"I apologize in advance for the place not being very clean. I just moved in two months ago, and I'm still getting settled." he said.
"Plus, I wasn't really expecting to have a guest."
He looked back at me, and all I did was stand there awkwardly while he fumbled with his keys.
Finding the right one, he puts it in the door knob and opens the door with a soft creaking sound. He steps in,and I follow him into what I know as 'The Mystery Shack'.
As soon as I walked in, I saw that he wasn't kidding about it being a mess. Jumbles of boxes filled the hallway, stacked papers and documents littered the floor, and the air smelled of new books and coffee. There were few furniture items, and the ones that were there looked as if they were only temporary.
When I looked closer, I saw that it had the exact same layout of the shack, the only difference being that there was no vending machine. Instead, there was one of those flipping doors you see in fancy restaurants, where the cooks are.
"I'm guessing you must be hungry, would you like something to eat?"
At this, I stared at him eagerly and nodded my head rapidly. It had been at least two days since I had anything that was meant for consumption. I usually just shoplifted from the Dusk to Dawn, but not recently. Bryce, Amelia, and Josh found out that I stole food from there, and now I'm not allowed to be there.
    When Ford saw the way I responded to his question, his previous smile turned to a frown. He still led me to the kitchen though.
    Similar to the rest of the house, everything was lieing around, waiting to be put into their rightful place. Ford went up to one of the cupboards and pulled out two packets of Blue Diamond Almonds. It took all my energy not to rip them out of his hands right away, and I managed to wait until he presented them to me.
Grabbing them greedily, I opened one package and plopped a few of them in my mouth. All of my pain seemed to melt away at the sweet taste of the simple tree nut. I savored the nuts in my mouth until they lost there taste, then I swallowed them and shoved more in.
    "Wow, you sure are hungry. How long has it been since you've last eaten Dipper?" he asked with sympathy, with a bit of curiosity creeping into his voice.
    I just shrugged my shoulders and continued eating the blissful nuts as I answered.
    "I think it's been two or three days, but it's hard to keep track of days." I mumble with the nuts in my mouth.
    All he did was stare at me with disbelief and shock in his eyes. I guess he has never seen a starving and beat up kid in the forest before. Well, that would be weird if he did...
    I was working on getting the second packet open when Ford walked towards me. Seeing him in my peripheral vision, I looked up at him and took a few steps back until I hit the wall.
    He cornered me, and put his six fingered hand on my scrawny shoulder. There was concern in his eyes, but there was also the curiosity that never seemed to leave.
    "Dipper, I want to ask you a few questions. Is that alright?"
    "Um, sure, you can ask some questions. But can you let go of my shoulder first? Its not in the best of shape." I ask him while fearfully glancing at his hand.
    He quickly pulled his hand away, and took a few steps back.
    "Sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your shoulder. But, let's go somewhere we can sit down for the questions, alright?"
    I nodded and followed him through the halls,  still shoving almonds into my mouth. It had become easier to talk to Ford, but I don't really know why. Maybe it was because he was like me, or it was because I knew him in the future. Either way, him being there didn't bother me that much anymore.
    We reached the living room and Ford set up two stools facing each other. I sat on one while Ford sat on the other. There was an awkward silence for a few seconds. Then Ford broke the ice forming between us.
    "So, uh, first question, why were you out in the woods?" he said. He looked like a little kid when he said that, and it almost made me laugh.
    Then I realized that I didn't think this through. If he found out about who I really was, I don't know what would happen. If I told him about how I'm from the future, he would probably send me to the hospital where phycos are held. So, I had to come up with a lot of lies. And fast.
    "Well, the woods has sorta become my home."
    "Why has it become your home? Where is your family? What happened?"
    That's when I had to pause for a moment. Thinking about my family always got me down. They are all relieing on me to fix Weirdmaggeddon, and if I don't, then I can't go back at all. Before I could do anything about it, I felt tears well up in my eyes. I quickly wiped them away, but not fast enough for Ford not to notice them.
    "You don't have to answer my questions if you don't wa-"
    "No, no. I'll answer it. It's just, I've never really spoken about it before." I said.
    Ford leaned in eagerly to hear my story. I took a deep breath, and started my web of lies.
    "Just to get this out of the way, I'm going to say that my family is dead. And it's been that way since I was seven."
    "How old are you now?"
    "twelve"
    "So your telling me that you've been on your own for five years?"
    "exactly"
   I let that lie sink into his brain for a moment, then continued.
    "They died from a fire that took place at my old house. I was the only one who made it out. I lost my mom, dad, and..."
    I stopped for a moment, thinking about what she would think of all these lies I'm telling.
    "Twin sister...Mabel..."
    When I said her name, I brought my legs to my chest, trying my best to balance on the little stool.
    All for did was look at me with sympathy.
    "I'm sorry for your loss. I know what losing a twin feels like, and I would wish it upon anyone else."
    I gave him a small smile, remembering the story Stan told us. He said that he got kicked out because he ruined Fords project, and they didn't see each other for ten whole years. Only this time, the separation is permanent with my twin.
    "Anyway, I tried going to my relatives, but they all thought I was a freak. None of them would take care of me. The police were going to put me in an orphanage, but I ran away before they could. From then on, I just rolled the country, eventually ending up here, around the same time you got here too."
    Ending my fake story, I looked at Ford to see if he bought it.
    "Well, I'm so sorry you had to endure all of that Dipper. Now, it's getting late, would you want to stay the night?"
    Yes, he bought it.
    I nod my head up and down, and he smiles gently.
    "I'll go get some things for you to sleep on then. You can just stay here." he said, standing up and walking out of the room.
    I silently cheered as soon as he was gone. I'll have to thank Stan for all of those lessons about lieing when I see him again. If I ever do see him again.

So there might be a lot of updates to this book soon cause I'm kinda obsessed with writing it. Seriously, I wrote this in, like, an hour. (it usually takes around four hours total) So, you will probably see a lot of updates soon. BluePinetree out!