Chapter 31

"Addison...."

Kade's voice filled my ears. I opened my eyes slowly. I felt disoriented, my heart was flying out of my chest.

"Addison... Babe are you ok?"

Am I ok? I looked around slowly. I was still inside Grant's car. Kade was standing over me holding the passenger door open. Glass crunched under my feet. Glass? The gun. Oh god was I shot? My hands flew over my body.

"Addi... Calm down. Your okay, just a few cuts and scrapes.  James is on his way to get us.  I'll get you cleaned up once we are home."  I nodded slowly.  My vision was blurry and then everything went black. 

When I came to I was in our bedroom. I could hear Kade whispering to someone. I looked down at my hands that were covered in cuts. "Kade?" I called out, my voice came out hoarse. How long have I been out? The door to the bedroom opened, Kade appeared.

"How are you feeling babe?" He asks softly as he walked toward the bed. He was still in the same clothes so I couldn't have been out that long.

"I'm ok I think. What happened?" He sighed and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"You passed out. The doctor said you were in shock. The gun went off and shot out the windshield, glass-covered your body...."

"Kade, what happened to Grant?"

"The bastard ran off and I didn't want to leave you so I let him walk but when I get my hands on the son of a...." Kade's voice was low and menacing.

"Kade just leave him alone.."

"Leave him alone?! Are you fucking kidding me, Addison? He held a gun to your head! He could have killed you! He'll pay for this!"

"He was desperate, he felt like it was his only way out. He wouldn't hurt me, if he wanted to hurt me he would have done it."

"You are not thinking clearly Addi, get some rest you need it." Kade stood up abruptly and left the room.

~~~~~~~~

A few days past and things were tense between Kade and me. My cuts were healing slowly and my emotions about the whole ordeal were all over the place. I understood why Kade was so pissed at Grant but going after him wouldn't change what he'd already done. Maybe I'm naive but I don't think Grant will try anything else. In a perfect world, we would just forget the last few days and go back to planning our wedding, but this wasn't some storybook fairytale. Everything between us right now felt cold and distant. Kade went to work this morning and didn't even say goodbye. My heart dropped to my stomach when I realized he'd left. I got ready for work but didn't even make it out the door before I'd talked myself out of going. Today was supposed to be my first day back, but my heart wasn't in it. My heart was with Kade who knows where and it was broken.  I sat on the brand new gray sofa Kade had ordered after the clean-up crew finally got the penthouse fixed good as new.   I stared out the window in a daze.  It amazed me how fast things have spun out of control.  How do we move on from all of this?  Between Grant and Jules, we couldn't get a minute of peace.  Our whole relationship has been a roller coaster ride and if I was being honest the ride was making me sick.  I was losing myself in all of this craziness.  I choked Jules.  Not that she didn't deserve it because she probably deserves worse,  but that's not me.  I've never lost my temper like that in my life.  These last few months have drained me emotionally.  I need to get back to my normal boring life,  the question was how?  How do I get back to that girl who loved her job and was stable?  Because this version of myself that I was quickly becoming, wasn't so stable.  With all this drama it's no wonder Kade throws those fits as Emma calls them.  A person can only take so much.  My phone vibrated beside me.  I picked it up staring at the screen,  it was Darby calling again.  She's been calling a lot more than normal.  I sighed debating whether or not to answer it.  I know she is just worried about me but I don't even know what to say to her.  Against my better judgment, I answered the phone. 

"Hi Dar." 

"Addi! Where are you?  You were supposed to go back to work today.  Nora called me saying you never showed up."  Her voice was full of concern. 

"I'm at Kade's." 

"Why?  Are you ok?  Did something happen?"  Great now I've upset my pregnant best friend, I sigh and ponder what to say?  Am I ok?  No, far from it, but should I tell her that?  She doesn't need this stress.

"I just didn't feel up to going ok?  Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow.  Don't worry Dar." 

"Addi you're lying what's going on?  Did you and Kade have another fight?  Maybe you should come to stay with me for a while."  Damn, she always knows when I'm lying.  Maybe she's right I should just go back to our apartment it's not like Kade wants me here, he's barely spoken to me.  Probably wouldn't even notice I was gone.  My heart constricted in my chest at my thoughts and I couldn't hold in the tears that had formed in my eyes.  "Addi?  Are you there?"  Darby's voice brought me back to reality. 

"Yeah, I'm here." I sniffed. 

"Oh hell no your crying.  Pack your bags Addi.  You're coming home.  I'm on my way." 

"Ok."  I breathed quietly as she hung up.  The tears continued to fall as I packed.  I packed as much as I could fit in the two big suitcases I found,  I hadn't even put a dent in the number of clothes in the closet.  But they weren't really mine anyway,  they were meant for Mrs. Jacobs.  I left my engagement ring on the nightstand and rolled the suitcases out into the living room.  A soft knock came from the penthouse door,  I opened it without hesitation.  My eyes widened at the person in front of me. 

"I just came to apologize.  I swear I'm not up to anything Addison."  His voice was strained.  He was still wearing the same blue suit.  He had dark circles under his eyes,  he looked awful.  My heart was pounding loudly. 

"Grant you shouldn't be here....I..."  I didn't know what to say or do. 

"I know Kade's not here Addi.  I've been watching the place.  I just want to talk...." He shifted nervously as he gave me small smile. 

"How did you get past security?" 

"I have my ways don't worry.  I don't have a gun Addi."  He held open his jacket.  "I wanted to make sure you were ok before I leave town.  I never intended to hurt you, Addison." 

"I'm fine you can go now,"  I said sourly.  He looked dejected. 

"Addi I'm truly sorry for what happened.  I was drinking too much and not thinking clearly.  I needed a way out and you were it.  Honestly, I've loved you from the day we met.  I know I screwed up by cheating on you and when you moved on to Kade, I couldn't handle it.  I lost my fucking mind Addi.  I'm so sorry.  I won't be a problem for you anymore.  I'm leaving town and I just wanted you to know how sorry I am for everything I put you through."   Sorry?  My mind was racing was sorry enough?  He'd ruined my relationship with Kade.  I stared up at him and for a moment I saw a glimpse of the man I'd once loved.  He genuinely looked sorry. 

"Grant... I.."

"You don't have to say you forgive me or anything Addison I wouldn't expect you to.  I just needed to tell you.  I've been driving myself crazy with worry about you.  But now I see that your ok I can go." He sighed.  "Goodbye, Addison I'll always love you." He turned and walked away from me quickly. 

"Goodbye, Grant." 

I closed the door and sunk to the floor.  The tears flowed down my face.  After everything Grant put me through I felt relieved to know he was leaving town. A part of me also felt bad for him, he lost everything including himself.  Would Grant leaving change Kade's mind about going after him?  Should I tell Kade he was here?  Would it even matter what I say to Kade?  The doorknob turned above my head and I stood up.  Darby pushed the door open. 
She looked me up and down. 

"Let's get you the hell out of here."  She said as she grabbed a suitcase. 

"Take me home Dar."  I wiped my eyes as I took the other suitcase.  I took one last look around the penthouse before shutting the door.