Chapter 2: Meeting of Indoctrination

I moved along the regular work path paved out of a brown mud towards the mine in silence. Many of the other workers around me have already started to work, toiling into the ground.

Where is my foreman?

I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see one of the armed guards behind me.

"Seems that we need you to change up your shift for today-you're taking Jericos old one. Head over to the mine construction area."

I can't believe this...

"Jerico may be dead, but... Fine. I'll go."

The guard turned around and started to walk away.

"Look, I know this sucks and all, but a job needs doing and you are the only other explosive expert on site. We all have our jobs to do. You have to do yours and I have mine."

He's right... I have a job. A job that I can't lose and that I get paid little for. But a job... nonetheless. I just have to do my job to the best I can... even if I hate it.

I have too much of my grandfather in me...

I made my way out of the mining area, and to the construction yard where all of the mining facilities are currently being made. A lot of the buildings are half unfinished, metal beams and supports clearly visible.

I made my way towards the other workers.

A tall man wearing an orange vest and yellow helmet approached me as I came close.

He has a paper in his hands.

He looked at it for a second before he looked at me.

"Well, Aren, it seems you have moved shifts for today. Your job is to demolish the northern building from here. You'll be alone so... Just be careful not to blow the sewage system. It's close to the building, and I mean really close. It may not be in operation now, but just be warned that if you mess up the building will fall into it along with you. Well, that's your briefing. Be safe alright. We can't have another accident today."

"Okay sir... I got it."

I walked away from the man and made my way towards the building.

A dangerous freaking job is what this is. Why would the sewage system be right underneath a building anyway? Oh well, whatever I guess.

The house I am supposed to go into came into distance. It's at the other end of the camp, isolated from the other buildings. As I get closer I can see just how a dangerous job this is...

The building is halfway into a large hole leading to the abandoned sewage system below. The ground around it is heavily eroded away and the building is only half built. There is no roof, but all four walls are up and it looks as if there is somewhat a floor... How did it even end up in this sorry state?

I walked up to the door to be greeted with two of the security guys. One of them handed me a bag carefully.

"Here, these are the explosives. No wise ideas, ok?"

"I got it..."

"We're going to be right outside the door, just in case."

I grabbed the bag out of his hands and made my way inside of the building.

It's empty in here. That and cold, most of the room covered in a dark shade.

The back wall has a giant hole in it, the side leading into the abandoned sewage system.

I walked carefully along the creaking floor to the center of the room.

The house slightly moved underneath my feet.

I don't like this... I'm going to get killed here alone...

I knelt down to open the bag.

Huh? There's nothing in here!? The hell is going on?

"Phew... well, how you doing?"

I turned towards the door to see a girl standing next to the door as she stares at me. She has brown hair, long enough to reach her shoulders. She is wearing a black jacket and vest, dirtied and somewhat loose pants and a small bow in her hair. Her eyes are a light green color.

Why did the guards let her in here?

"Who are you exactly?'

The girl shut the door behind her.

"Me? Well, no one special in particular. Let's just say someone here to help."

Help... ok... no. Something is definitely wrong here.

"Afraid I'm good. Sorry but I have to get to work-"

The girl grinned.

"With what explosives?"

She knows..?!

"W-what are you-"
The girl walked closer towards me?

"Look. Let me ask you something. Do you like working here? For this company?"

"No..."

The girl's expression became more compassionate.

"I know, right? This company is a horrible one to work for. That's why, I have a proposition for you."

A proposition...

She couldn't be one of the-

The girl pulled something out of her pocket and looked at me.

"I am a member of the Free Angels. The guards outside are also with us. I am here to help you-"

"So you are one of them..."

"Yes, now if I may-"

"I refuse."

The girl's eyes opened widely in her confusion.

"What? Wait, I don't think I-"

Why is this going on? Why to me?

I stood up and tightened my fists.

"Was Jerico one of your members... may I ask?"

The girl bit her lip.

"Y-Yes... he joined us not long ago... a few days ago. Though I didn't expect him to be killed."

"Well, what did you expect then? He may have been at the end of his rope but you pushed him off the platform after tying it around his neck."

The girls looked at me angrily.

"What's with you? Jerico is a martyr! He died for our cause..."

I shook my head.

"Afraid you don't understand. Well, I won't explain. The deaf of reason will not hear any. So no, that's my answer. If you are trying to recruit me, I won't have any of it."

The girl looked at the object in her hand before she showed it to me.

"Well then. Guess what? You're coming with me whether you like it or not! Our leader wants to speak with you."

"How?"

The girl smiled.

"Guess where all of those explosives went?"

So... they do have them. I'm guessing they are set around the house then.

But she wouldn't detonate them with herself still inside... and I don't know why, but I think they need me alive.

"Right... try me."

The girl ran forward and punched me hard in my stomach as she threw me over her shoulder and jumped into the abandoned sewage system. The building exploded behind us, as we fell.

My eyes slowly closed as she sprayed a mist in my face from a small bottle.