Chapter 6: Explosion

The car came to a complete stop as we drove into the main parking lot of the southern district's 'Heaven's Bounty' mining facility. We parked close to the back entrance, somewhat inconspicuously. Lorance opened the door and stepped outside along with the others.

I could make a run for it...

I looked out the window to see the parking lot empty.

Shira knocked on the glass.

"Hey! Come on... we don't have all day..."
I opened the door and stepped outside of the vehicle.

Lorance opened the trunk and pulled out a small bag, tightly sealed with a lock.

"How are we even getting in...?"

Shira stared at me with a forced grin.

"We already have that covered-even if you don't know the plan, newbie."

"What is that supposed to mean."

Shira turned towards the back entrance of the building.

"Just... shut up and let's go."

Shira led us to the door where she pulled out a small laminated id card from her pocket and swiped it against the small scanner on the door.

The door opened shortly afterwards.

We all walked inside and as the door shut behind us, Shira looked around.

"Alright... here's where we go from here. There is an elevator not far from here that should take you to the basement. Lorance, take Aren here there with the explosives. If you meet anyone along the way you are the engineers sent to repair it, got it?"
Lorance and I nodded.

What about...

I looked at Shira and the other guy.

"And what about you two?"

Shiras eyes froze for a second.

"U-us... never mind about us... just do what you were instructed to... that's an order. We are going to look for something-we shouldn't be long."

Lorance grabbed onto my arm.

"Let's go..."

He pulled me away from the others down the hallway.

Lorance doesn't seem to be... normal.

His eyes are expressionless and he doesn't seem to notice what's really going on.

"Hey, are you alright?"

Lorance looked at me with a fake smile before letting go of me.

"I'm fine... please let's just finish this mission... the elevator isn't very far from here... and it looks like nobody is here right now..."
He turned back around and kept walking forward.

I followed him, slowly as we made our way along the empty hallway.

White walls, red carpet and a wall lamp every so many steps along the sides.

We came to the elevator in little time. Lorance clicked the down button on the side as we waited.

My heart is beating fast...

I need to stand strong...

But... I am still doing this... still...

I shook my head and looked at Lorance.

"Hey... what are we going to do about the workers here...? Surely you won't let innocent people die..."
Lorance stayed silent.

Why doesn't he answer me?