Chapter 4: A Forced Path

Ragniel smiled and let go of my hand to pat me on the shoulder.

"Trust me friend, you and I are going to change this world for the better. You are unlike many of the others. In time... I am sure you will see that our cause is just."

I looked at Ragniel in his eyes.

"I don't think you understand what you are doing."

Ragniel smiled.

"Say what you will. Your quarters are already prepared, and if you'd like you can go get some rest. You're going to need it. They are just down the hallway, fourth door to the left. And please don't run, I don't want to hand over someone as unique as you."

I nodded and turned towards the hallway.

I feel defeated right now...

"Ragniel... don't justify actions to make yourself feel better. Justify your actions based on their effects. Else only going to wind up in an abyss you can't escape."
I walked down the hallway.

Did I really just repeat my grandfather's old advice? Well, I guess it's because Ragniel... he knows about the play. The one my grandfather wrote. But he never had it finished... well, he did tell me the last verse, I think... I'm not sure... well, it doesn't matter. I haven't been able to remember much from before the accident where he died and I ended up in that coma...

I walked past a few doors and opened the fifth one along the wall to see a large gathering room. There is a group of people sitting around chairs and talking. The girl from before is sitting next to a heavily built man. He has thickly cut muscles, his shoulders broad. He has dark brown hair and light blue eyes. Around his head is a red bandana, and he is wearing a white work shirt and camo pants.

The girl from before, Shira, stopped talking as soon as she saw me.

"Look who it is! The one who rejected our invite!"

I don't want to deal with this.

"I joined. Get over it-not like I volunteered, but I joined."

A man leaning against the wall lit a cigarette and put it into his mouth for a second before taking it out and exhaling a cloud of dark smoke. He has blond hair, and light blue eyes. He is wearing a white undershirt covered by a short jacket that hardly covers his body and tight blue jeans. Gloves with the fingertips cut off around his hands.

He looked at me angrily.

"Get over yourself-you're on the hero's side. I know what you're going to say-we have killed people and done this and that, and blah, blah, blah, but you know what? I can justify my actions because I know I'm on the right side."

I have to get over myself?

"What sad event caused you to join then? Come on. Seems to me that you lot have all lost something and decided to up and kill the fucking world."
The man threw his cigarettes onto the floor and hit it with the heel of his ankle boot.

"Oooh, you know if we didn't need you I would break four face in."

"I'd like to see you try."

The man squeezed his fists tightly.

"Ah fuck you bro, I'm the second in command around here! I even know about The Valiant-one of the boss's favorite plays. He's one of the few people who have actually ever read it! And I know every verse because he's told them to me over and over-"

"Every verse? You do know one act is missing right?"

The man's eyes widened.

'What did you say?"

*Sigh*

My life has been blown to hell.

"You just crave attention don't you-you need someone to acknowledge you. That's how you sound right now, Mr. Second in command."

The man cracked his knuckles.

"I am really getting pissed off, you know. My names Florence by the way-learn it. And how would you know about the Valiant anyway?"
I really don't want to play this card but...

"My grandfather wrote it."

Florence froze for a second before he started to laugh. He held onto his stomach as he leaned forward, still laughing.

"That's funny-really funny... of course the guy who-"

I don't think he believes me...

"'To two men, what is being Valiant? If one wishes to do something and justify their actions for the sake of their wellbeing, then they have poisoned their own waters. The other who does something and does not justify their actions on feeling but rather on consequence will face the sting of his choices, but he will also be the valiant. The Valiant, act 1."

Florence stopped laughing, but held onto his face as he stared at the floor.

"I thought... no... you shouldn't remember the play."

He stood up and ran towards me, but the large man sitting next to Shira grabbed him by his shoulders and held him back.

"Florence! He is not worth it! Calm down already..."

I looked away, towards the door.

"Florence... don't think because you know something that it makes you special. Find the meaning behind the words of the play and perhaps it will help you. So... if you all don't mind I am going to go to bed... it's been a long day."

I walked out and made my way to my new 'quarters'. It was the fourth room, I think.