Chapter 11: Plans

Ragniel led me to his room, at the far end of the hallway.

Inside he locked the door behind us and grabbed the three acts from the table.

"Let me recite for you the second half of act 2. 'The youngest brother, unbeknownst to the eldest whom he chose to follow, fell in love with the princess and conceived a child with her. The two were happy together, yet once the eldest discovered this he was furious. However, he hatched a plan of his own. He allowed his younger brother to marry the fair maiden. After the ceremony the eldest killed the girl's father in secret, leaving the kingdom to the youngest and his daughter. The kingdom was never given to its rightful leader, but instead given to the eldest. To many the eldest was a hero upon that day who had won over the villains. But soon, his ideals became muddied in the mass of power he had received and so, he slowly became a tyrant, much to the dismay of the youngest brother who wished that his brother had not lost his Valiance, nor become the villain of their story altogether."

I looked at Ragniel.

"What...? What is this supposed to tell me?"

Ragniel flipped through some more pages before reaching the end of the act, frustrated.

"End of Act 2, 'The youngest was cast away from the kingdom-alongside his wife and children. He had become a villain for wishing to stop his brother's ways, and was swiftly dealt with as one. How easy it was for the brother's roles to switch. That is when the middle brother attacked the kingdom with his newfound forces, all of which he lied to and deceived. He saw the youngest and asked for his help, however the youngest wished no more to see his brothers slowly corrupt themselves. But fate would bring them together, for fate knew three coffins needed to be filled. Three heroes, each with ideals, hopes and dreams, watched themselves become the opposite end, much like the odd ends of a coin. Many who once followed the king, the eldest, followed the middle brother instead and together they schemed to take back the kingdom of which he felt was stolen from him'."

Ragniel looked at me pleadingly.

"You remember these excerpts, correct?"

I nodded...

"Yes... I do."

Ragniel grabbed me by my shirt.

"I'm afraid you don't! You keep forgetting that these events mirror our reality! What do you think happened? As the middle brother built up his forces, the youngest and the eldest took the kingdom. The youngest thought he was doing the right thing when he gave the kingdom to his eldest brother still believing him to be a hero! Yet the eldest brother planned everything-he used the youngest to get what he wanted. Remember how I told you that your 'grandfather', helped your eldest uncle instead of me? How he chose to help Merren? He ended up marrying the wealthy man's daughter and had children with her, he was happy. But then Merren... Merren, he killed the stepfather. Without your 'grandfathers' knowledge of course... only to use it to his advantage and have your 'grandfather' give him everything. Being the man he was, he gave it willingly. However, just look at the company he founded! The company... its... if it was a true kingdom, it is a false one built upon death and lies all of which show how easy it is to corrupt the human mind with power... if it was a kingdom it would be one ruled by a tyrant."

I stayed silent for a moment. Why does he want me to listen to this...?

"Ragniel, what are you getting at?"
Ragniel looked at me hopelessly as he put down the booklets containing the three acts.

"It means nothing... nothing at all. I am sure you remember the third act... please, leave me be for a while... and don't try to kill yourself again. And stay away from Shira... the last thing I need is-"
Ragniel shook his head.