Demigod Stories #1

Elsie Bright

Yes, I know this is my Mom's book. And yes, I know this book is directed towards the parents of children like me. But I've decided that these children, my demigod cousins, brothers, and sisters, all deserve to know that I have a story, too.

I'll start with me finding out my Dad was a Greek god, and how to properly deal with that. I might even add my own adventures and tips into this story, if my Mom says that's cool. Anywho, it was on my way to camp when I learned who my Dad was.

We'd be thrown on a detour, for lack of a better word. Sam Greenwood, my friend whom I'd learned was part barn-yard animal not too long ago, and I were in Austin, Texas. The goddess Mnemosyne had told us that a god needed our help here, so, much to the reluctance of Sam, here we were to help.

Sam wanted to get me straight to a camp called Camp Half-Blood. He said it was the only place people like me could be safe. I didn't understand what he meant at the time, and the reason why makes an excellent tip for satyrs.

TIP FOR SATYRS, THE GOLDEN TIP:
If the demigod you are protecting knows that the gods and goddesses and Greek myths are real, don't leave out the fact that one of their parents is one of the ancient deities. Tell them that they're demigods while explaining that. If you keep reading, you'll see how bad of a screw up missing that is.

(Sam's begging me not to put this into the story. Oops. Sorry, Sam.)

We'd just finished helping Aphrodite with a 'love problem'. Her son Eros, the Greek equivalent of Cupid, had accidentally dropped Aphrodite's belt in Austin when he was flying it to his Mom (who was on Olympus, which is over the Empire State Building, but more on that later). That resulted in many a love crisis.

We'd found and returned the belt, and Aphrodite wanted to thank us. Of course, Eros had explained that she couldn't thank us personally because she was too busy, so he would do it on her behalf.

I'm going to be honest with you. Eros was really handsome. He had large black wings, abs that were showing because he couldn't be bothered with a shirt, and black dress pants with matching dress shoes. His hair was raven coloured and short, and his eyes were like milk chocolate. Even his smile was perfect.

Sam caught me swooning on more than one occasion.

"My mother wants me to tell you who your godly parent is. Do you want to know this information?" Eros asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

I realized he was looking at me, and I tilted my head. "Godly parent? What?"

"Your immortal parent, residing on Mount. Olympus." Eros explained. "Did your satyr not explain this?"

Sam turned a bright red. "Uh, well, no. But I will now. Uh. So, Elsie...you know how sometimes one bird lays a egg in another bird's nest? No, wait. Uh. You know how sometimes someone has a baby but...no. Hang on. Um,"

What he was trying to say hit me like a bag of bricks.

"Sam, are you saying I'm part god?"

Eros regarded us wearily. I knew that the Greek myths were real; Eros was standing in front of me, after all. But one of them being my father? Why hadn't Sam told me sooner? Why hadn't Mom told me?!

I sat down hard, thinking furiously. I knew I was a bastard child; Mom had had me when she was twenty after a one-night-stand with a man; but she had never once described that man as a god. I only knew my father as someone my Mom fell for for a night.

I had a god's blood pumping in my veins. Is this why all those strange things kept happening to me all the time? The way Johnny had explained it, I thought he meant that monsters around us had been doing those...

"Elsie, do you wish to know?" Eros asked again, snapping me out of my trance. I looked up a his handsome face and nodded.

"If Sam won't tell me, I would appreciate it if you would."

"I can't tell you," Sam insisted. "Your Mom wouldn't tell me who--"

"Apollo." Eros rested a hand on my shoulder. "If you look up at the sun now, yes, that's him, flying his chariot. You may not be able to see him from here, but he can see you. He has always been watching over you." The god bowed. "My task is complete, and so is yours. Sam, take Elsie to camp now. Keep her safe. My mother's blessing is upon you." And just like that, he was flying away.

Want a dedication or a chance to be featured? This can happen one of two ways:
1) Be an avid reader - comment, vote, interact
2) Submit your own stories, tips, tricks, reminders, or others to me through PM (either from the POV of a demigod or their parent), and it will be published!