Prologue

Two starry cats sat in a hollow. The first was a gray tom with sky blue eyes. The second was a pretty she-cat whose eyes looked like they had flower petals.
      "The one has come," the tom said. The she-cat shifted and looked over at him. "The one? What do you mean, Skystar?" Skystar sat up. "The one who will begin a new Clan," Skystar explained. "Oh, the kit? Surely she can't be a warrior with her leg," the she-cat said.
      "Jagged Peak could hunt and fight with a lame leg," Skystar pointed out. "Surely she can too."
       As if on cue, a gray tom with a twisted hind leg walked over. "That is one thing we have in common," he said. "Being lame."
      The tom looked into a puddle, the water was foggy though it was clean and the sky was not clouded. "Storms will rise and cloud the sky, but will bring the sky back to life," the tom whispered.
      The three cats faded away as the sound of thunder roared through the hollow. The foggy figure appeared as a vision. Her tortoiseshell pelt was transparent like glass. She sat by a charred tree. She began to enter a crack beside the tree, fading away into the shadows.

Storms will rise and cloud the sky, but will bring the sky back to life. The one has come...