Chapter Four

Dapplestorm woke up the next morning, hungry. She decided to take a walk and try to find something. She wondered if she would run into the old cat, Jasper, again today.
     She decided to go the giant birch tree she had passed the day before. When she got there, she tasted the air. She caught Jasper's scent. Must have came around dawn. She also scented a mouse. She spotted it and moved to get downwind.
      She carefully crept forward. She walked lightly, knowing it would be able to feel her pawsteps if she wasn't careful. Once she got close enough, she pounced. The mouse squeaked as she landed a killing blow on its head, then fell silent. She knew it was against the warrior code to eat prey as soon as you caught it, but she was Clanless now, and didn't have any elders to feed.
      She settled down and began to eat the mouse, sniffing the air every so often to make sure no other cat was around. When she finished, she cleaned her paw and then the rest of her fur. Perhaps being alone will be ok for now, she thought. I miss my friends, but I like being alone too.
Belly full, Dapplestorm went over to the birch tree. It's a giant birch, perhaps I will call it the Great Birch. She laid down against its roots and fell asleep. When I wake up I will catch something for Jasper. He is an old cat, and could be an elder if he was in a Clan. Perhaps he would like to hunt in pairs sometime when prey is scarce.
     Dapplestorm dreamed of standing by a charred black tree. Several cats were around her, she felt like she knew some of the scents, and all were similar, like a group of cats from the same Clan. Find the tree, Dapplestorm. Whispered a voice. It is time to start a new life.