Chapter Three

Dapplestorm stopped at a giant birch tree. Its bark looked like a gray, white, and brown cat's fur. She could hear the water louder now, and tasted the air. The drizzle had stopped, and there was a faint scent of a squirrel. Deciding to ignore it, she walked on.
     Finally she came to a river with willow trees lined up along the bank.

"Like this," Ravenflight said, demonstrating a move. Dapplepaw attempted the move, falling over in the process. She quickly got up, ready to try again.
     She was successful this time, knocking Ravenflight over and landing on her three good paws. "Good! Lets do another."
      Dapplepaw looked up at the willow trees that they were by, listening to them whisper to her. "Dapplepaw," they seemed to whispered. She purred softly as she continued to train with her mentor.

Dapplestorm listened for the whispers, but these willows were younger, and the sound was different, sounding more like the rushing river just a few pawsteps away.
      Dapplestorm lapped at the water but kept her ears pricked for signs of predators. She heard rustling and turned around. She saw a squirrel sitting by one of the trees.
      She crept forward as silently as an adder. Before she could leap, a cat came from the other side and killed the squirrel. It was an older tom. He looked at her. "You look like a badger had attacked you," he said.
     "It was rogues actually," she said. The tom looked like an elder, his fur was unkempt. "Here," he said, pushing the squirrel over.
      "You can have it she said. I can find something else," Dapplestorm said. "I'm sorry if I'm on your territory. I can leave as soon as my wounds heal." The tom shook his head. "No need," he said. "Loners don't have territories. I'm Jasper by the way. But my friends call me Tom."
     "I'm Dapplestorm," she said. "It's nice to meet you." Jasper grunted. "Well, I will be going. See you around."
Dapplestorm walked away towards her nest. "I guess I may have a new friend."