Chapter Two

A light rain began to fall as Dapplestorm finished her temporary nest. It wasn't like her old nest in SkyClan's camp, but it would do.

Dapplepaw sat down in her nest and licked her paw. Quiverpaw, the new apprentice came over to talk to her. "Hi, Dapplepaw," he purred. "Hey," she said simply. She waited in her soft nest for the other apprentices to fall asleep and then snuck out of camp.

Dapplestorm ached with sadness. She missed the nests that she had helped make and remake over and over again.

"Swiftpaw?" Dapplepaw whispered as she came to the ThunderClan border. A long-legged tom stepped out of the woods. "Hi!" He purred, licking her muzzle.
      The Apprentice licked him back. "How are things in ThunderClan?" She asked. "Good. How's SkyClan? Is Talonstar feeling better?" Swiftpaw asked. "Everyone is good. Littlestorm's kits were apprenticed today," Dapplepaw meowed.

Dapplestorm thought back to Swiftriver. She had loved him, and he had loved her. They were separated by a border, and now they were separated between the living cats and StarClan.

Dapplepaw helped Swiftpaw gather moss to make a nest on the border. She laid down on her side and Swiftpaw on his.
"I love you, Dapplepaw. And I don't care what everyone else says. You may have a bad leg but that doesn't make you a bad cat." Swiftpaw said before yawning and falling asleep. They laid with their backs against each other. Being careful they were only barely in each other's territory in case someone caught them.

Dapplestorm laid down in the makeshift nest. But before long, she realized she needed to drink something. She didn't see any puddles yet, and no streams.
     She pricked her ears and heard the faint sound of running water. I can't be too far from a river or stream, can I?
     She raised up, starting towards the forest. Just a drink and maybe a water vole. That's it. Then I will come straight back.