chapter 5

Three days before the council was to begin, I awoke to the soft rays of sunlight warming my face. I smiled as I sat up, but soon that smile was replaced with a frown of confusion as I heard a great commotion outside. I walked to the window that over looked the courtyard and saw a stable boy lead a beautiful white stallion up to a golden haired warrior. The sunlight gleamed off of his hair and gave the appearance that he was glowing. Or maybe he really was glowing. That has to be Lord Glorfindel. Throwing on a robe, I opened my door and walked out to the courtyard. Glorifindel, the Balrog Slayer, was sanding next to his horse while Elrond seemed to be giving him some sort of instruction. I watched from the cover of a pillar as he mounted his horse and sped out of Rivendell as fast as his horse would run. Confusion settled over me as I watched Elrond turn around and head towards the healing halls with a grim look on his face. I slipped from my hiding spot and made my way back towards my room to get dressed for the day. What could be so important that Elrond would send the best warrior Rivendell has, running at a breakneck speed towards the wild? There are Wraiths out there that could kill him in an instant! If he runs into all of them, he- My mind froze when the realization hit me. Frodo is out there with the Ring. That must be where he is going. To search for him.

I broke into a run as I realized that Frodo could be in grave danger. I made it to my room and slammed the door behind me. I grabbed a loose tunic and a pair of trousers from the wardrobe, barely noticing the dark red color of the tunic and the black trousers. I threw them on and pulled my boots on, tucking my trousers into the boots. I grabbed a hair tie and started braiding my hair as i hurried out the door. I needed to find Elrond. Gandalf hasn't been heard from and worry for the little halfling weighed heavy on my mind. I flew through the halls, and threw half-sincere apologies towards the Elves I would run into. I finally made my way into the peaceful healing halls. The smell of herbs and healing balms and ointments assaulted my senses as I opened the door to the healers room. I stopped, panting hard, when I saw Elrond and two other people turn around slowly to look at me. I noticed the healer had an annoyed look on his face, that he was desperately trying to hide,and Elrond had his ever unreadable face set into a grim lines. It was the other person in the room, however, that caught my attention. Standing in front of me with an amused smile plastered across his face and a twinkle in his eyes, stood Gandalf. I ran to him and threw my arms around his neck in a tight hug.

"Where have you been? You were supposed to have been here several days ago!" My voice came out a little muffled because I had my face pressed into his shoulder. I felt his arms come around me in a warm embrace. I nearly wanted to cry from the fatherly love that was emanating from him.

"I am sorry, my dear. But I was delayed." I pulled back and finally appraised his appearance. His hair was messier than usual and dirt covered his body. Traces of blood were still evident on his face, and he held a look of exhaustion.

"Gandalf, What happened to you?" I did not try to hide the tone of concern that laced my voice. I lifted my hand and cupped his bruised cheek softly. "Who did this to you?"

"Saruman. I fear that he has betrayed us." He took my hand into his and gave it a gentle squeeze and smiled softly at me, trying to ease my concern. I stepped back and looked at him and then Elrond in alarm. This is not good. Saruman is the greatest wizard in the Order. If he has sided with Sauron, we will have to face two armies.

"What will we do? The Ring is on its way here and in the process our list of allies s growing smaller and smaller." I turned and walked towards the small window facing the gardens. "Frodo is in grave danger. The Wraiths will stop at nothing to kill him and take the Ring. Is that why Glorfindel left this morning?" I turned back to face them. "to find Frodo and bring him here safely?"

"Yes." Elrond answered, " We are concerned that the Wraiths have caught up with him and Aragorn. But I have complete faith in Glorfindel to bring them back safely. He is a great warrior." Elrond stepped closer and look intensely into my eyes. "When Frodo arrives, Do not listen to the whispering 's of the Ring. It will seek to corrupt your mind and make you think that you could be its master. It is evil."

"I understand, my lord. And I promise that I will not let it take a hold of me." A small grin broke the grim line of his lips at my words.

"I know you will, young one. Just keep an eye on the others during the council. There will be mind there that are weak." With those words he strides out of the room with a soft swish of his robes. Gandalf walks over to me and places my hand in the crook of his elbow.

"Walk me to my room, dear. I have missed you." he gives me a small smile and walks me out of the room.

We walked leisurley in silence as we made our way to his room. I took the time to observe our surroundings with appreciation. Many years I have lived away from my own kin. I don't know why I exiled myself from them. Only that I had Gandalf as I grew and never felt the need to live with my own. He taught me everything I know. My survival skills, my ability to speak multiple languages, and my superb fighting skills I owe all to the old wizard walking next me.

"What are you thinking of, my dear?" His gravely voice startled me out of my thoughts. I smiled slightly and replied, "Of how much I am found of you."

He smiled softly, "Well, I think I am slightly fond of you as well." His eyes sparkled with laughter. I chuckled and looked up to see we had made it to his room.

"Here's your room. Get some rest and have a bath. You look like you've been dragged up and down a mountain", I joked as I pushed him through the door."

"Yes, my lady." He smiled and closed the door.

I sighed and turned back towards the way we had come. I walked to my room and grabbed a book that I had been meaning to finish, and I sat underneath a shade tree in the garden. I submerged myself in the book and let it take away all the troubles and worry. Once I finished the book, I looked up and noticed I had missed lunch. Sighing, I closed the book and pushed myself up off the ground. I stretched to work out the stiffness in my legs and back. My stomach growled, showing it's annoyance of neglect. "Alright, alright. I'll get you some food."

I made my way to the kitchens to get a little fruit and bread. Entering the kitchens, I dodged the bustling cooks and made my way to one that didn't look as busy as the others. "Excuse, me." The Ellon turned revealing his flour covered appearance. I stifled a snicker and and said, "Is there any way I could get something to eat? I'm afraid I skipped lunch."

"Yes, of course, my lady." He brushed himself off (not that it did himself any good) and walked over to a table covered with fruits, pastries, and vegetables of all kinds. "Here is a plate. You may take whatever you like, my lady." He replied with a smile. I looked to see that a plate was held in his outstretched hand. "If you would like, there is some wine in the next room. You may serve yourself as you like."

With that said, he turned and went back to kneading his dough. I filled my plate and grabbed a cup of water. After eating my fill, I started to walk back towards the training grounds. But on the way, I heard the clatter of a horses hooves on the stone bridge. I turned just in time to see a white horse, galloping across the bridge.

----------------------------------------------------

Alright, so hope y'all like this chapter! In the next one, Andriel finally meets the fellowship!! The picture showed in the media is a depiction of how Tolkien wrote the river scene to actually happen. In this story I'll be using bits from the movie and the book so it might be a little different from what some of you think it will be. Plus I might throw in a bit of my own stuff. Anyway, on to the disclaimer!!
*I own no one and nothing, except Andriel.