chapter 34

"Yes," I chocked out. My voice sounded strange to me; croaky and tense, not at all my usual sound. I sat stiffly, trying desperately to block out the rampaging thoughts in my head. I had to tell him! I had to spare him. He was a prince, and he had a reputation to uphold. Being with me would only hurt him in the long run.

"Aragorn's coronation will be in a couple of months. There is much to be done before then."

I nodded stiffly. He casually placed his arm around my shoulders and drew me towards his side with a tired sigh. His warmth enveloped me, and his warm natural scent calmed me. Well, maybe I could enjoy just a few precious moments more. Besides, this is probably the last time I would ever be this close to him. Resting my head on his shoulder, he placed his cheek on my head and idly played with my braid. For several long moments we sat in silence, simply enjoying each other's company and relishing the fact that we weren't needed for any councils or war meetings. The only sounds heard were the chirping of birds, the sawing and hammering of the workers, and the voices floating on the wind. I closed my eyes and allowed myself to relax completely into his side, my cheek resting near his neck. His soft hair tickled my face, and the smooth skin of his neck was cool against my forehead. My breathing evened out, and I slipped into a light sleep. A cool hand softly traced my cheek and the contours of my face. It moved slowly, almost reverently in it's quest to map out every aspect of my features. As the fingers moved over my lips, I kissed the tips gently. They stilled in there movements momentarily, then resumed their caress. Lips pressed lightly against my forehead, and I shoved my idea of breaking our relationship to the back of my min for the time being. For now, I would merely enjoy this moment together with him.

"Andriel?"

"Hm?" I questioned silently.

"Were did you live? Before the council and the quest."

I smiled softly at the memory of my little cottage and the hobbits. It was such a quaint life. One that I missed and would cherish forever. What would he think if he saw it? Would he like the simple life I had led for years, or would he think it ridiculous for an elf to live with hobbits? Sighing, I snuggled further into his embrace, reaching for his other hand and gently twining our fingers together.

"I have a small cottage on the outskirts of Frogmorton, in the Shire."

"You lived with the hobbits?" he asked surprised.

I chuckled lowly, still basking in his warmth and the cooling breeze. "Yes. It is a beautiful and peaceful place. Untouched by the rest of the world."

"And what did you do there? Did you spend much time with the periannath?"

I smiled in fondness of the memories of the late night parties with my little friends, and the days at the market. "I was a trapper. I tanned hides and furs for the locals and sold them in the markets. Many came to look at my hides, for they were the best in the Shire," I said proudly, for they were the best and had been for nearly one hundred years.

"I would very much like to see this home of yours. It sounds very pleasant."

My smile dimmed, but I quickly hid my feelings behind a pleasant look. "Yes, there is not many places like it in the world."

"Rolling hills covered in waist deep green grass, forests that are alive and always singing... and the little people with hearts bigger than you would think possible."

"You miss it. Don't you?" He said softly.

I nodded my head. Until now I did not realise just how much I missed that simple life. And of course, my horse, Bran. I wonder how he was, way back in Rivendell. Was he being exercised and fed? Did he miss me as much as I missed him?