chapter 11

The drums kept echoing through the the mines. Fear gripped us as we realized just what those drums meant.

"Orcs!" Legolas spat out.

Aragorn ushered the Hobbits further behind us. "Get behind Gandalf!"

The terrifying sounds of the creatures screeches and screams filled the halls around us. Boromir ran to the open door and peered around. He jerked his head back as he narrowly missed having an arrow go through his head. Aragorn rushed forward to help him close and bar the door as a deafening roar filled the air.

"They have a cave troll," Boromir said with clear sarcastic happiness in his voice. Everyone stood back from the doors and drew there weapons; preparing for the torrent of darkness behind the doors. Aragorn, Legolas, and myself readied our bows to kill anything that tried to come inside. Gimli, by this point, was out for blood. He was ready to kill any and all of the Orcs in this mine to get revenge for the deaths of his family and friends. He jumped onto the top of the coffin and held his large axe out in front of himself.

"There's one dwarf in Moria that still draws breath," he growled out.

The Orcs were banging against the doors, doing their best to break it down so that they could get to us. The wood began to splint as the Orcs tried with all their might to break through. As one of them made a hole in the door, Legolas let an arrow lose. The Orc screeched with pain as the arrow struck it's mark. Aragorn and I also let our arrows go as more holes began to appear in the door. When the door was just about to collapse, we put away our bows and drew our swords. The doors caved in, and in rushed twenty to thirty blood thirsty Orcs. I blocked the blow of the first one that charged me and sliced my dagger through its throat just in time to block another blow from my left. By the time I had killed my tenth orc, a rumbling noise shook the ground as a cave troll was brought into the room. A few Orcs pulled it from the front by chains attached to its neck. Angered, it grabbed the chains and ripped them from the Orcs grasp as he killed them. Roaring, he charged head first into the fight. The Hobbits scrambled out of the way as more Orcs started to flood into the room. I gripped my daggers firmly in my hands and tried to make my way towards the Hobbits. Each one of them had grabbed his sword and were defending themselves as best as they could. I caught a glimpse of Sam beating Orcs over the head with a frying pan and let a small smile slip onto my face. I always new I liked that little man.

I turned back around once I was satisfied that they could protect themselves, only to see a horrified and surprised looking orc only two feet from me. It let out a garbled moan as it slumped down and hit the ground heavily. An arrow stuck up from its chest. I glanced around to see Legolas up on a higher section of the wall, picking off Orcs with his arrows. I turned to the Orc nearest to me and stabbed it in the side. I then swung my left blade and took off its head with one swing. By this time, the troll had grabbed a long portion of rock and was using it as a club. Not only was it attacking us, but it was also killing off the Orcs surrounding it. I fought off orc after orc as they came towards me.

"Frodo!"

I watched as the troll sent Aragorn flying through the air to hit the wall. I winced in sympathy as I saw him slide to the ground. I drew my bow and aimed for the troll as I saw it grab a long spear out of its rib cage and head towards Frodo. I let my arrow fly and watched as it penetrated it's neck. It roared in annoyance and swatted the Hobbits surrounding Frodo away.

"No!!" I screamed out as I ran towards the troll.

Before I got to him, the troll plunged the great spear into Frodo's chest. Frodo stood in shock, and then fell backwards. The Hobbits screamed and jumped onto the trolls back and started stabbing it anywhere that they could reach. The troll thrashed around and reached behind himself to pluck the Hobbits off of his neck. Once the Hobbits were off, he went after Legolas on the higher wall. He gripped his chain in his large grotesque hand and swung it like a whip. It hit the floor just to the left of Legolas and left a crack in the surface. Legolas ducked behind a nearby pillar and waited for the troll to swing again. The chain wrapped around the pillar as he aimed to hit Legolas. Legolas jammed the chain into place and ran up the chain onto the trolls head. Grabbing two arrows, he pulled back on the bow and set them lose into the trolls head. As the troll roared, Legolas jumped off and aimed another arrow at it. When the troll roared once more, Legolas shot his arrow straight into the trolls mouth; stopping it in its tracks. The troll dumbly rubbed at its face and fell to the ground with a loud groan.