chapter 28

That night, Edoras held a feast in honor of our victory, and the lives of the many brave men and ellon that perished on the deeping wall. Death was still something that I could not quite understand. Yes, I had seen a lot of it through my long life, but it was not something meant for the Eldar to understand, for none of us expected or ever thought we would die. We were never meant to experience it, but when we do, we do not understand how to handle it. Especially if it is someone we are close to. We become so spiritually attached to our loved ones, that it is literally as if a piece of us die with them. That is the reason why many elves distance themselves from mortals.

Despite the air of grief in the building, everyone was able to keep up good spirits and have a good time. The hobbits, especially, were dancing on the tables with large mugs of ale, and Gimli was passed out from a drinking contest between himself and Legolas. A few of the men had lifted him and placed him in a corner for the time being until he woke up, which most likely wouldn't be until mid-morning. At the moment I was sitting at one of the tables watching as couples danced a lively jig. Legolas had wandered off to get us both a glass of wine. He pushed his way through the crowded room and handed me a glass with a small smile. I sipped the slightly sweet liquid and relaxed on the bench as I watched the Rohirrim celebrating. I tried my best to put on a happy appearance, to hide what I was feeling, but I could not quite hide the feeling of impending darkness. I didn't know why, but I felt as if something bad was about to happen, and I could do nothing about it.

"What is wrong, Lotho?"

The small endearment brought me out of my thoughts and drew my attention to the Ellon next to me. He looked wonderful tonight, like a true prince of the Eldar. His silver tunic shown in the soft light of the fires, and his eyes held the light of the stars. His hair shown a pale gold, and his skin was smooth and light. I smiled and took his hand in mine gently, wrapping my fingers around his.

"Nothing is wrong. I merely wish we could stop all time and never leave this moment."

He seemed to believe my little white lie, for he squeezed my hand in a comforting gesture and turned back to watch the people around us. I did not like to with-hold the truth from him, but I didn't want to tell him what I was feeling. I may have sounded untrusting, but I did not want to worry him, and my feeling may just be worry for all my friends.

I suddenly grew very tired, and the world around me turned blurry.

"Legolas, I think I will go to bed."
He turned to me with a slightly worried look and brushed his hand across my temple.

"Are you feeling unwell?"

"No, just tired," I said as I forced a smile. "I will be alright by morning after a good night's rest."

He relunctly nodded his head and stood with me, offering to walk me to my room.

"No, I'll be fine. Stay here and relax. You have been far too uptight, my love," I said with a smile.

I turned and made my way through the crowded room, alone. If I were in my right mind, I would have felt the gaze of someone watching me leave, but I did not, and I would forever wish I had.

--------------------------------------

I woke to the sound of wagon wheels and the jingling of a horses harness. The smell of hay was all around me, and I felt it poking me through the dress I was wearing. I groggily pried my heavy eyelids open and desperately tried to see through my bleary vision. I could see nothing but piles of hay and darkness all around me. I tried to sit up, but became confused when I felt that my hands and feet had been tied behind me.

What happened? The last thing I remembered was walking out of the hall feeling very tired. My vision had been blurry and I was stumbling through the dark hallway. That was all I could remember. Now I was tied up in what seemed to be the back of a hay covered wagon.